Sign in to follow this  
DMW

First 2 attempts

Well here’s my first 2 attempts at the forge. I made a letter opener out of an old chisel and a knife out of a piece of an old leaf spring. Welcome advice or constructive criticism

E00B581F-1ADC-4351-A1C2-DD60CDF5C55E.jpeg

Have you tried to heat treat them yet?

I don't have any critiques to offer that would be anything more than just my own personal preferences when it comes to style and design.  I will offer the same advice that was offered to me on my first couple of knives.  Don't take any shortcuts just because they are the "first".  Especially when it comes to fit and finish, treat them like they are going to end up as showpieces in someones collection.  Go through every step of the process and don't compromise on your end goal.  If you run into a roadblock, stop and ask.  This forum is a wonderful source of information, freely given by people that have all been there and done that.  This way, you'll start to learn which methods work for you and which ones don't. In the end, regardless of how they turn out, you'll have set yourself up for even more success on the next one!

You're to be commended.  Starting out with a double edged blade is a little bold.  A lot to keep straight.  The knife looks good but as you said you still have some more grinding to do on it.  Just remember when grinding out the previous grinding marks, close enough is not close enough.  Get out all of the previous marks before going on to the next higher grit.

Doug

WAY better than my first attempt.

Take Alex and Doug's advice. Take your time with each step ask questions and you will be happy you did in the end. 

Thanks you guys. I’ll take all the advice I can get...lol.  I’m just in awe of the knowledge you guys possess. I enjoy this craft and everything involved with it, I just wish I started 20 years ago. I just started as a form of therapy and never realized how addictive it is. 

Before you HT that big knife, what is the handle plan? It looks like a full tang style to me. 

It will be a full tang. Got some grinding to do then I’ll drill the holes for handle before going in for the heat treat.