Sign in to follow this  
DMW

What is this?

Hey guys my sister is giving me something that resembles an anvil. Do any of you guys know anything about it. To me it’s very unusual looking. I see it’s got a hardy and pritchel holes. She says it weighs about 50 pounds. 

A228D17C-D47D-4D77-8C85-0E007B595011.jpeg

that looks like a striking anvil to me, but i know there are far more infromed experts on the subject that will soon chime in. either way, it looks like something to hit steel on

Free is Free.  Looks like an anvil to me just a different shape.  As @Ross Vosloo soon enough folks who know what it is will be commenting I'm sure.  But hey.  If you are getting it free at no cost you can never go wrong with that.  I wasted money on a thing that looked like an anvil from harbor freight then bought my good one from ebay.  So free in my book is always good.

Yep, free is good!

Looks like a well-made homemade anvil substitute to me.  I've seen good ones and bad ones, but they're all better than the HF 55lb anvil-shaped object.  That looks like it was welded up out of a stack of 1x4 mild, maybe with a little hardface rod on the edges? 

If the bottom is recessed or dovetailed a bit, it is a bottom anvil for a drop hammer.   The bottom anvil is held in the drop hammer with tapered steel wedges that are hammered in.

I have one, in the photos below the dovetails are filled with the wood retainers to keep the anvil on the post.  The steel rods are inserted in holes so two people can lift the anvil, it weighs 250 pounds.  Came from a big steam drop hammer.

If yours is indeed a drop hammer anvil, it is likely cast steel instead of iron.   Nice find!!!

khFwaXE.jpg?1

9dIwapP.jpg?1

Edited by John Ricks

Here’s a couple of pics of bottom and side of the anvil. I know it’s at least 40 years old. It was in my sisters house when she moved in. 

FFB60620-AEDE-4103-92C4-50D514151D82.jpeg

5B88588F-FB2E-4F3C-A9B2-3E2AB2255353.jpeg

Seeing it upside down reinforces the thought it may be a die from a big drop hammer.  That wear in the middle of the bottom is consistent with that kind of use, and the horn and heel could have easily (well, laboriously) ground from the sides where they flare out.  Not all drop hammer dies do that, but enough do that it's a strong possibility!

Alan, would it make a good anvil?  I like the fact that all the mass is under the face. The face appears to be flat. 

Edited by DMW

You're the one who has it!  If it has good rebound, and the face seems hard, it's a good anvil.  If not, it's not a good anvil.  But I'm betting it is good.

Lol...I haven’t picked it up yet. She’s about 700 miles away, I’m heading out for the holiday and picking it up

ask her to drop a ball bearing onto it from a foot or two up and see how far back up it bounces. will be a good indication