Jump to content
deker

A big upcoming project

Recommended Posts

For well over a year now, I've been working on a "Secret Project" I will be making steel for. It's been the cause of a lot of new stuff in the shop, and a lot of learning and hard work as well.

Well, I'm finally at a point where I'm allowed to let the cat peek out of the proverbial bag. There's still a long way to go, and I won't be able to divulge much in the way of specific details for a while, but I'm proud to say that the steel in the attached picture is from my shop and that there will be a LOT more of it coming over the next year or so that will be made into more gorgeous 1911 pistols like the one shown here.

I'll post more details over the next several months as things progress, but it feels great to finally be able to tell you all what I've been working on!

This is something that I've wanted to see made from my steel for YEARS, and I'm honored and overwhelmed that instead of just a few, we'll be doing a whole production run.

 

ironwood.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SONofa... :o  Congrats, man!  I thought I'd seen some blingy 1911s before, but that is awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks amazing :o What is the handle material on that?

 

EDIT The 1911 is my favorite pistol, second to the .357 :D

Edited by Conner Michaux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like presentation-grade Desert Ironwood from here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:o..... I love it!

Im a big 1911 fan myself, I love how that handle goes all the way to the spring housing. Looks very comfy! Who is producing these with you? I'd love to know more about it. 

Edited by Zeb Camper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite pistol tuned into art,  FANTASTIC  !!!!.................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the moment I saw pattern welded steel, I have wanted both a 1911 done in it, and also a Super Redhawk .357 style revolver done in it... 

Grats man, thats awesome news.... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everybody! Alan is right, it's Desert Ironwood on the grip panels.

Unfortunately, I can't say who's producing them or anything yet. This picture is the first completed prototype, so we've gotten past that major hurdle. There's still a lot of steps to go to get to production (not least of which is me buying a ton and a half of steel and burning a LOT of propane :) ). It will likely be some number of months until more info is available, but as soon as I got the OK to say "Look! We're making 1911s!", I did. :-D

It's been about a year and a half of shop upgrades, work, machine building, testing different steel mixes, getting the HT right, etc. and it's been REALLY hard to keep my damned mouth shut about it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, deker said:

For well over a year now, I've been working on a "Secret Project" I will be making steel for. It's been the cause of a lot of new stuff in the shop, and a lot of learning and hard work as well.

Well, I'm finally at a point where I'm allowed to let the cat peek out of the proverbial bag. There's still a long way to go, and I won't be able to divulge much in the way of specific details for a while, but I'm proud to say that the steel in the attached picture is from my shop and that there will be a LOT more of it coming over the next year or so that will be made into more gorgeous 1911 pistols like the one shown here.

I'll post more details over the next several months as things progress, but it feels great to finally be able to tell you all what I've been working on!

This is something that I've wanted to see made from my steel for YEARS, and I'm honored and overwhelmed that instead of just a few, we'll be doing a whole production run.

 

ironwood.png

I don't own guns any more for good measure, how ever with the way the damacus steel is and the pattern with the steel.  Holy crap.  What a beauty.  I do have a fondness for the 45.  I gotta ask though that particular 1911.  Do you have a safety switch next to the slide by the hammer on that model?  I've only seen the WW2 military issue variety of 45.  But nah I love the way it looks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I don't own guns any more for good measure, how ever with the way the damacus steel is and the pattern with the steel.  Holy crap.  What a beauty.  I do have a fondness for the 45.  I gotta ask though that particular 1911.  Do you have a safety switch next to the slide by the hammer on that model?  I've only seen the WW2 military issue variety of 45.  But nah I love the way it looks.  

Thanks!

As far as I know it's the standard design M1911, so it's got the thumb safety, the grip safety, and an internal disconnector.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, deker said:

Thanks!

As far as I know it's the standard design M1911, so it's got the thumb safety, the grip safety, and an internal disconnector.

Ah ok.  Wasn't sure some of them ones I've seen at least had an extra safety on it.  How ever I do like the looks of this one.  I could only assume that you may offer different assortments of patterns on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AndyB said:

Ah ok.  Wasn't sure some of them ones I've seen at least had an extra safety on it.  How ever I do like the looks of this one.  I could only assume that you may offer different assortments of patterns on this?

The current plan is for a single production run set up like this one, so they will all be random for the frame, etched deeply and blued, and twist for the slide etched not quite as deep and left "au naturale"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in love with an inanimate object! Oh my!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dayum. that's one pretty pistol. Mazel Tov!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is there a source for this beauty??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorgeous combination 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, C Craft said:

So is there a source for this beauty??

There will be at some point, but it will be a ways out. I can't give out any details just yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.....how did I miss this thread. About a week ago me and a buddy of mine were talking about making Damascus for an AR 15. This is straight up inspiring!!!!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yes, the Springfield 1911; my favorite pistol ever.  This is amazing, and the outfit that produced has certainly done your steel justice.  Gorgeous work on all accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...