Sign in to follow this  
Tokugawa_Sensei

Blacksmith newb

Ok now I'm new to this and want to know how much will it cost me to do the charcoal forge.I want to make a tanto and how much money will I spend in supplies and material.Also whtas the best metal to make a tanto.

my first charcoal forge didn't cost me anything because I made it out of bricks and used a hair drier for air.If you are just starting out don't spend all your money on exprnsive tools a file can work just as well as a grinder if you don't mind spending some time on it.For steel I suggest finding a leaf spring or coil spring because they are almost fool proof steel and are easy to find.

there is alot more to it than that my friend......alot more. just buy one it will be cheaper.

Tokugawa, Check this out

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3328

and then use the search function to "mine" the depths of this board. Do the same on other boards,, your desire and questions though sincere, are not unique and have been asked and answered before. Plus there are many questions you havent even thought of that have been thouroughly discussed here. Look around, buy a book, and most importantly, have fun.

jm