Jeremy Blohm

My hydraulic press plans

So I bought this hydraulic automotive press from harbor freight and it is going to get rebuilt into a forging press. You can see the cylinder under the press in the first picture. I'm having trouble uploading that picture.Resized_20181103_150137.jpegResized_20181103_150128.jpeg

Resized_20181103_150047.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

That the little 12 ton one or is that the 20 ton.

It's the 12 ton

This is the little electric log splitter I'm going to try and convert into a mini press just to see what it will do.Resized_20181103_150254.jpeg

I was actually considering making a press with the harbor freight frame and putting on a air powered jack.  Although I’m just not too sure how well that lower beam would hold up when hot metal gets compressed with the dyes.  Correct me if I’m wrong but are you planning on mounting the ram to the floor and having it come up from the bottom instead of top down?

i blew out the bolts using the stock jack in a harbor freight press to move metal i put in stronger bolts tried again and ripped the beams apart i built a real press after that at the very least if your not a welder you can prolly find a weld shop that can make something to hold up to the jack your going to use

Well that's good to know before I went through the trouble of converting it. I am a pretty good welder so I will build my own then. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Well that's good to know before I went through the trouble of converting it. I am a pretty good welder so I will build my own then. 

I’m a decent welder myself if I have the right type of equipment.  Lol that harbor freight welder makes my welds look like garbage lol.  I was going to buy the harbor freight press burn now knowing that I’m not going to.

The cylinder us just sitting there for now. It would never work mounted t the floor.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

It's the 12 ton

This is the little electric log splitter I'm going to try and convert into a mini press just to see what it will do.Resized_20181103_150254.jpeg

With this little splitter it almost looks as if you could make it as the press itself.  You got the steel plate at the bottom there, where the ax head is just change that out with a dye plate.  That could probably work.

• Like 1

That's the plan for it. It's only 5 tons but I think it will squish some metal.

Yea but I'm sure  you could press metal with 5 tons especially if the metal is at welding temperatures.  I'd think you'd be good on that one.  Get it to a nice yellow hot then crunch crunch crunch.

You guys might check out what Tim did at Big Dog Forge on you tube with a re purposed splitter.

He's an interesting dude to watch............................

29 minutes ago, Clifford Brewer said:

You guys might check out what Tim did at Big Dog Forge on you tube with a re purposed splitter.

He's an interesting dude to watch............................

Yea I’ve watched a couple of his videos.  

I watch his live show every Sunday morning. I have just about everything I need to build one all I need is a frame now. I probably should keep this press for automotive purposes anyway. If my wife found out I butchered the press I "needed" so bad she would kill me. :lol: she would probably do the same if I bought a wood splitter just to start cutting it up.

Lmfao it could be worse.  You could always take the splitter apart the hard way lol screw for screw and bolt for bolt.  The just in case that you’d need it a log splitter again lmfao.

So I have this 5 ton log splitter that I was going to make into a little press. This is what I have done before me and @ChrisBriggs found out that the motor mount that was broke actually had the hydraulic lines built into it. Really it is a screwy set up. I'm going to buy a new one eventually just to see what it has to offer in the blacksmithing world. Here is the upper die I made for it.  2 pieces of 4 inch C-channel

Resized_20181103_150254.thumb.jpeg.f5c42f078c65e837fb187741bb29cfd7.jpegResized_20190112_132106.jpegResized_20190112_132547.jpeg

booger welded then together with my 1950's twentieth century welderResized_20190112_133312.jpegResized_20190112_133834.jpeg

I'm not sure what size the die is but it is just some random mild steel.Resized_20190112_135716.jpegResized_20190112_135725.jpeg

once I buy another one of these we will see what it is capable of.

Found this one on amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D775H8L?aaxitk=hJE.2iGNJAT9tkd.P0I.sQ&pd_rd_i=B07D775H8L&pf_rd_p=3ff6092e-8451-438b-8278-7e94064b4d42&hsa_cr_id=6355328940901&sb-ci-n=asinImage&sb-ci-v=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41EPdLdCzFL.jpg&sb-ci-a=B07D775H8L. 300 bucks not bad.  I might consider buying one and turning it into a press instead of having it vertical have it on its side as in the way it is in the image. 

Do these 5-7 ton splitters have enough force and speed to be useful as a press? I'm asking mostly from curiosity since I just finished making one of the air over hydraulic mini presses. 

I'm not sure if they do or not. When we tried running this one the hydraulic fluid just poured out onto the ground. I'm going to buy another one to see what it is capable of.

on a small press use small dies and it will still be better than hand hammering real good at setting welds and transitions

@JeremyBlohm- while on my search for replacement parts on that Task Force press I found this-

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/task-force-log-splitter-recall/3022/

Careful! It's a death trap!!! (In case you aren't aware, don't put your hand between the wedge and ram! Apparently there's no sticker on it stating not to do that so they issued a "recall". When you contact them about the "recall" they issue you a set of stickers telling you not to chop your freaking arm off! Because stickers prevent stupid!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

• Haha 1

Too bad they didn't do a recall on the motor mount/hydraulic lines. 

Could you just get a new motor for it.  I’m considering getting a new one from amazon.  That would be the fastest way of me getting a press together with out spending thousands of dollars.

The motor mount broke which also searves the hydraulic lines. Its kind of a weird set up.