Jeremy Blohm

My hydraulic press plans

No good on that one but hey if all else fails at least you’ll have spare parts if you get another one.

I did quite a bit of searching for replacement parts, spares, broke down units that could be robbed for parts and no luck. There are a few parts out there that allegedly "could" fit. According to some folks out there this piece and several other models of different brands are made at the same Chinese manufacturer, the same plant or imported by the same group etc. It would be a crap shoot is the bottom line. And is it worth it? Probably not. However....I have a TIG welder in line to fix it. Apparently my crazy trust fund land baron slum lord's son is a heck of a TIG welder. And he owes me for some venison I floated him after he didn't tag out this year. Long story, REALLLLLLLLLLLY LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG story...

Hopefully he can get it welded up and it works good. I still cant believe the hydraulic lines run through the motor mount. And why would the have it set up so the wheels are on the motor that has a really weak motor mount and the hydraulic lines run through it?

Alright I cant keep it to myself!!!! 

I won this from another online auction for $115 after buyers fees and gas to go get it I will probably have $200 into it. It needs a motor which j have kne for it and I'm almost positive I will need to find a hydraulic tank also but I know where I can source one or northern tool supply has a 20 gallon for around $130.

db39cd1271bdc57e733949b5f859837f.jpeg

Now we need an auction addiction anonymous :P

• Haha 1

One good thing is all my addictions are legal. ;)

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2018 at 6:51 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

Resized_20181103_150047.jpeg

On 11/3/2018 at 6:49 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

Resized_20181103_150128.jpeg

@ChrisBriggs now that I won this press all of the things I have accumulated to build one is all yours whenever we can get back to the shop. Maybe this weekend if the rain melts enough snow we can get out there.

So after drooling over the pictures again I came to realize I dont need a hydraulic tank. This one has it mounted right on the side of it. I'm picking it up Monday morning. It was made in Detroit MI by C. E. Pollard. 

18d5e66e0e7ea6cb62aa66187e579045.jpeg

244e42803b496b2f21a3ecc8dfac4587.jpeg

Does it come with the motor and pump? I don't see them in the picture.

It comes with the pump and valving but not a motor. I have a 5 hp¿ motor to put on it. The pump is mounted on the stand next to it and the valving is down near the ground under the pump. 

78a386894655d0a6b08c96b338fda9ee.jpeg

So much for the dies you already made lol now you gotta make new ones.:lol:

Since you brought up dies it gets me thinking of how big the dies should be. I found a Hydraulic cylinder calculator  but what if the cylinder has no specs how should I go about calculating an approximate tonnage?

Once you get it home, you can measure the bore of the cylinder and I can tell you what it will do. Looks like it has been a while since the press has been run. Once you get it fired up, certain parts may need re-packing. Hydraulic seals get brittle over time.

I kinda expected to have to go through seals and maybe even bearings in the pump. I need to figure out what size drive belt pulley (shiv?) I will need also. Another thing that throws a wrench into the gears is the motor I have is probably as old as the press or older and there is no ID tag to know an RPM but I'm assuming it is in the 1700 range. 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

It has a 8" cylinder on it. So at 1200psi it would have roughly 30 tons of pressure

I didn't have a tape measure so when I got to  the first overpass I puckered up a little bit.:lol:

Resized_20190204_123804.jpeg

Now how do I stand up a 9 foot press in a garage with 8 foot ceilings :unsure:

Resized_20190204_143535.jpeg

I thought it looked pretty tall in that first picture, and when you said 8" cylinder...:ph34r:

Guess it's gonna have to slip between the rafters.  I went to an auction that had a Nazel 3B and a Nazel 5B.  10 and 12 feet tall, respectively.  I'd have to install a cupola!  Of course, when Ric Furrer got his 3B he cut a hole in the roof and flew it in with a crane. B)

• Like 1

It's almost in there. Its sitting comfy now...I'm done for the day!!!

As my dad always says. That's about all a man can do in a day.

Resized_20190204_173101.jpeg

• Like 1

Man that's a beast, you have to be proud of that! Can't wait to see it in action.

Well brother, I've got some time this weekend but....I'm also off work from the 14th through the 20th.... I haven't told the wife that I'm off yet. I mean, she knows I'm "off" but not that I don't have to work. :D I figured that way she can't come up with any emergencies for me to deal with. My plans include getting some serious headway on my power hammer, making some other shit (knives and a couple Tomahawks maybe), perhaps now a press, and if the weather cooperates----maybe some ice fishing for some crappie/perch. So uh, plan on doing some shit son!!!!!

Ice fishing sounds like fun....well all of it sounds fun.:D

I got the press into its spot for now. I have to move it closer to the wall so my wife can have her parking space in the garage but j have to get that pallet with my broken quartz counter top (my new surface plate ;)) out of the garage and now I need to move the power hammer here. That is going to be a real chore and I'm not doing that by myself. I shouldn't have moved this by myself but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Resized_20190206_125121.jpeg

A couple more pieces of equipment and you're going to need a bigger shop. That could be a summer project. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1