Jeremy Blohm

My hydraulic press plans

I have another shop where my power hammer is and a ton of other equipment.:ph34r: I just bought this house and I'm going to put up another barn here.B)

My god man, didn't you just have back surgery?  You do like to play with heavy things...

4 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

My god man, didn't you just have back surgery?  You do like to play with heavy things...

I know everyone is giving hell for doing this....on the other hand everyone is too busy to help so I just do it. 

Here is the motor I ha e for it. I put my 100 lb anvil next to it because the first picture didn't do it justice.:lol:Resized_20190206_200302.jpeg

What type motor is that? What is under the cover on top? And, is that a switch on the peckerhead?

You can find out what it is with a few measurements. You will need to know the rpm's.

It's an old GE. Under the cover is the starting capacitors and that's what makes it single phase. Yeah there is a switch on the pecker. I'm pretty sure it's a 1700 rpm motor. I will get some measurements in a little while. 

Measure from the bottom of the motor to the center of the shaft and the shaft size. This should be enough to get you frame size. Frame size and rpm's will tell you the HP.

I wonder what the switch does?

5 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

Measure from the bottom of the motor to the center of the shaft and the shaft size. This should be enough to get you frame size. Frame size and rpm's will tell you the HP.

I wonder what the switch does?

It has a 1 1/8 inch shaft and from the bottom of the motor to the center of the shaft is 6 1/2 inches. Roughly 1700 rpm.  The switch is a built in on/off switch. 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Well, those dimensions are not standard which means your motor was probably a special. With it having a 1 1/8 shaft, I agree it is probably a 5 hp, 1750 rpm. But, it could be a 3600 rpm. Do you have a tach. or strobe light to check the speed? We need to know the speed in order to size your sheave. If you're sure it is 1700 we can go with it. There should be a number on the pump sheave to tell us what size it is and what belts.

I did it again. This one is 20 tons and I won it for $125

9ae548c5b9b415ae2381d8ef3c69c269.jpeg

I'm not 100% sure but I have a tank and pump that I can run it with. I'm assuming it doesn't have the power unit unless its built in underneath it.