Sign in to follow this  
Tim Cook

Congratulations, its a dagger!

Took the summer off (don't like the heat).  But finally got this dagger done.  Its only my 2nd knife, but it sure had a lot of firsts.  First forge weld, first acid etch, first through tang, butt cap,  Damascus, and etc.  To critique:

The Good: Forge welds went off without a hitch.  No inclusions, cold shuts or anything else.  Resulted in a nice random pattern.

The Bad:  Man do I need practice on my grinder!  I cannot cut straight even if I had a milling machine!

The Ugly:  The way I danced around after getting burned by the quenchant.  Glad nobody seen me (plausible deniability)!

The handle was made to fit the guys hands to whom I'm giving it.  The guy has paws like a gorilla.  Any thought, critiques, opinions or suggestions are welcome!

Best dagger.jpg

Hi Tim

As another firstish timer on here i would say i really like the midsection brass plate and general look (i will believe you are selling this to a cave bear of some sort given the grip dimensions). cant see the details on the butt cap area. is that some sort of rivet or screw cap? or just decorative? But man this handle just cries out to me for more sanding. doesn't need to be a mirror finish, i love a brushed or satin effect, but i just feel that somewhere in your setup is some 240 grit just dying to be rubbed onto that brass to smooth those wrinkles. you know its there somewhere!

As for the grinding, i feel ya. i see two places there where you 're-engaged' at the wrong angle and i feel your pain. what i did before i allowed my sweet handmade damascus Seax billet anywhere near that belt is took a bunch of scrap steel and just ground some flats. nothing beats practice. its harder than it looks to start and easier than you think once you spend some time on it. Some people told me to swing the arms and keep the body straight, some people told me to hold my arms like a rock and move my hips side to side to get that consistent angle. personally i preferred to solid body and moving arms. either way, newb to newb, just grind some scrap. take a rubbish squarish bar and dont leave the grinder until you have a octagonal bar that looks like it was milled.

Good luck on the next ones!

Edited by James Simonds

Heh, I hear U.  He liked the handle the way it was so I left it.  I guess he loves a rough antique look.  Yes it needed more sanding in my opinion also and the dimensions reduced.  I have learned though to give people what they want and not what I like.  The end rivet was taken from a lid at a garage sale.  I used my grinder to cut it off a solid brass lid and used it to pin the cap on.  It had some nice symmetrical carving.  Thanks for your thoughts!

• Like 1