Greg R

New quench tube

I found this piece of scrap steel pipe I want to use it as a quench tube. I will have to put an end cap on it but I am not a good enough welder to make a watertight weld. Are there any high heat resistant epoxy i can use to just glue the pipe onto some sheet metal?

695113DF-1F78-48A2-A1F9-BE6A04BBCFDA.jpeg

Sorry Greg but all epoxies degrade with heat.  I would recommend getting a threaded black pipe & cap.  They're not that expensive.

Also, you could weld it the best you can, then run a bead of RTV silicone to plug the holes.  It should hold up to the temps, and as long as your welds will hold the pieces together, it shouldn't fail mechanically.  

What kind of welder are you using?  Wire feed Mig?  Or are you planning on using a stick welder for that?   Stick running a flat bead on the bottom shouldn't be too much trouble.  For a water tight anyways.  I'm not the best with a welder and I went to school for it and I'm rusty at it at best.

I have a wire feed mig welder. I was thinking what you jerrod suggested and weld it the best i can then try and seal it up with some high heat jb weld

Wire feed best as you can use a C pattern up and back and forth across the joint at a good speed.  Should be alright I didn't even think you could use silicone but that's always a good thing to know because I might be building my own quench tank soon lol.

Weld it up, test with water, mark leaks, weld over the leak....repeat as needed until no leaks.

You could also clean the mating parts to bright (which you should do do in any case) and braze it with an oxy/acetylene torch.  The braze material flows to wherever it is hot enough and clean.  Or watch some youtube videos on MIG welding and practice till you get good enough - it is not a difficult task.