Sign in to follow this  
Garry Keown

Two for the cook

These 7 inch chef slicers from 12C27 have eucalyptus handles. The manager of the plantation asked me to do a knife with wood from the plantation as a Christmas gift for the owner so we spent a couple of hours going through a 16cubic meter stack till I found something suitable. I decided to make a pair of them so he has a choice for the gift but also because I have a feeling he may take the other one for his own wife..

They sti need the final clean up of the blade (finger prints etc) and a sharpen. I thought of all sorts of ways of presenting them but in the end decided on a simple leather cover more because the gift one will be for the owners sea going launch so bench space will  be at a premium in the galley and a   bench top stand or any sort would not be suitable.Chef knives Ray Macdonald_Peter Shepard.jpg

Eucayptus Chef knives Ray Macdonald-Peter Shepard.jpg

Gorgeous Gary.   I really like the contrast between the blackened blade and that eucalyptus. 

• Like 1

Real nice work!  You definitely picked the right wood for those two knives!! Two thumbs up!Hat tip.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Gorgeous Gary.   I really like the contrast between the blackened blade and that eucalyptus. 

The blades are not blackened Alex, It was just the way they showed in the pic as the blades is 600grit satin finished. I have to hot wax the leather covers in the morning so will get a better pic then

Edited by Garry Keown

Maybe I should think twice about posting after having a few beers!.  Still a beautiful set!

Edited by Alex Middleton
  • Haha 1

Lovely stuff, Garry!  Love that eucalyptus.  Hard as iron and looks good too!

• Like 1

I got a few better pictures this morning

QJIlJvzl.jpg

YMR3fryl.jpg

0f5h4Bbl.jpg

C4zmtSzl.jpg

ibdHnUzl.jpg

• Like 1

Looked good black! Something different 

Wondering why the sheath for a kitchen nife wouldn't it go in a block? Or is it for presentation and gift just a matching stand would top this of to brilliant 

6 hours ago, Billy harex said:

Looked good black! Something different 

Wondering why the sheath for a kitchen nife wouldn't it go in a block? Or is it for presentation and gift just a matching stand would top this of to brilliant 

There is no black to the blades it is just the wrong lighting which is why I took better photo's that are posted further down the thread.

The leather covers is because the knife is for the galley on a boat where bench space is at a premium so the leather cover allows it to be kept in the drawer. I had contemplated a bench stand in various guises but none of them would be suitable for the boat 

A magnet sunk into the same timber bolted to the wall just an idea for later on. Yes i realized there was no black blade just looked the goods