Sign in to follow this  
Alex Middleton

Need some opinions

I've been working on this one for a friend.  He's recently decided to hang up his gear after 20 years in the fire service.  I want to do some embellishments to the handle, specifically an 850 and an 820 to commemorate the two local departments that he has served on.  I have everything at a rough finish state, but something just feels "off".  I can't put my finger on it, so I thought I'd put it out here for some thoughts.

20181106_194608.jpg

This is a better look at my initial concept sketch for the carving.20181106_194637.jpg

My idea is to have the numbers in relief, surrounded by a field of golf ballish dimpling.  Maybe I'm just over thinking things, but this one is pretty important to me and I'd really like to hear your input.

The golf ball dimple look would be interesting.  I would think the FD might be able to give you a small fire fighter emblem or miniature badge that you could inlay into that handle.  That would look really nice.  

Silver inlay? (or brass).  Since I am terrible at carving I go to inlay.

Inlay is something that I hadn't thought about.  I've only done it a couple of times, but the process is straightforward enough.  I was going to pick up some brass sheets on the way home today anyway, might be worth the effort to cut out a couple of numbers and give it a try.

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Silver inlay? (or brass).  Since I am terrible at carving I go to inlay.

Dont feel bad I'm horrible at it myself I got one of those amazon carving kits a while back so I've been practicing with it.

9 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

Inlay is something that I hadn't thought about.  I've only done it a couple of times, but the process is straightforward enough.  I was going to pick up some brass sheets on the way home today anyway, might be worth the effort to cut out a couple of numbers and give it a try.

But yea if  you could inlay the emblem then do the golf ball dimple effect to bring out the inlay that would look pretty sweet.

The other thing that seems a little off to me is the direction of the numbering. I guess I consider the blade tip or the spine to be "up" so I would put the numbering with the 8 closest to the blade instead of the butt of the handle. Or with the numbers laid out in a horizontal manner with the blade edge being "down."

I can totally see how your layout would work in a typical sheath carry but I just think the presentation of the knife is better the other way.

Hope this makes sense, hard to do without drawing a picture... Always hard to start carving something that you've put so much work into already.

Have you been talking to my wife? She says that they need to be turned too lol.  I guess I'll have to lay it out a few different ways and see which I like best.  Thanks for the help!

• Haha 1

Personally, I like aweller's idea about turning the numbers and making it read left to right with the edge down. I would also see if the FD can give you a small medallion or collar pin like AndyB suggested. If you are going to inlay block shaped numbers, I would reduce the numbers in size and place them between the first and second pin leaving the area where the 8 is currently for the FD medallion,

Another idea for inlay is wire inlay.

Edited by Joshua States

Unfortunately there's nothing from the department that I could inlay that will fit, look right, and still be functional.  I've been sitting here playing around with some different designs and I'm currently leaning towards inlaying a medallion of sorts with the numbers cut or engraved into it.  I'm not sure if I'm going to go with brass or stainless, but I will figure that out as I go.  Thanks again for all of the input.