Sign in to follow this  
Conner Michaux

Another question.

Is there a caulk that hardens in cold temps? I want to caulk and bolt my anvil down to minimize ringing, but I put my anvil stand in the ground already and i forgot that caulk does not harden in cold temps. And i really dont want to dig it up and bring it inside to be caulked. Any ideas?

Edited by Conner Michaux

Should still harden eventually... I would put the caulk on and just visit it every once in a while until it's tacky and then bolt the anvil on. Wait until you have the whole day to check on it. Put it in the sun. 

Remember it has to be 100% silicone, and yes, it will eventually cure in cold weather.  It likes to be warm, but it'll still cure in a few days.

It's rubbery and stays that way, which is what kills the ringing of the anvil.  It's also a great glue.  Acrylic caulks eventually harden, then disintigrate.

You can get a couple tubes of the silicone at Home Depot for 4 or 5 bucks it’s fairly in expensive.  Just rememember to poke a hole through the nozzle before you squeeze the trigger 

Use a hair dryer or any hot air blower to warm it up. It'll harden.

Alright ill go out to the shop today and do that.

Groovy.  Let that set until it's barely sticky, then loosely set the anvil on it and let fully cure.  Then and only then clamp it down if you want to.

Well, just don't clamp it and it should be fine.  It's cold and thick, after all.  And if you accidentally squished it out, now you know!:lol:

Cool.  Don't use heat, then.  The goal is to have a cushion of silicone between anvil and stump to damp out vibrations.

If it's a rubbery cushiony  you are after, would a piece of conveyor belt work?  I know a lot of you guys don't like magnets. That's what I use. It's simple and does a good job. 

47 minutes ago, Bill Kirkley said:

If it's a rubbery cushiony  you are after, would a piece of conveyor belt work?  I know a lot of you guys don't like magnets. That's what I use. It's simple and does a good job. 

A convener belt may work for my situation.  Where can I pick this material up I'm going to have to look into this.  I've been trying to keep portable tearing my anvil down every time I'm done for the day and locking it up so it doesn't get stolen.  But if the conveyor belt and magnets would cease the ringing I wouldn't have to bolt the anvil down entirely.

Yes, the rubber belting works, but you do need to bolt the anvil down to get the most benefit.

16 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Yes, the rubber belting works, but you do need to bolt the anvil down to get the most benefit.

I'm definitely going to have to give that a shot.  I'll order some next month.  Any particular type of magnet to help with the ringing?  Or just any variety of heavy magnets?