Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stephens

Composite Sax-inspired

Hi guys:

In keeping with my new pattern of about 2 blades a year here is one I just finished. I shared the bare blade with you earlier.

Buffalo horn handle, bronze fittings, moose antler spacer. Standard 1095/15n20 mix on the PW. 

Hope you like it. 

Cheers!

Dave

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

• Like 5

Now that is a pretty blade.  interesting Damascus pattern.

I was wondering whatever became of both you and that blade, Dave!  Looks great.  Those blade collar thingies are fun, aren't they? :lol:  But they really set off the transition from grip to blade.  How was the horn to work with?  

38 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

I was wondering whatever became of both you and that blade, Dave!  Looks great.  Those blade collar thingies are fun, aren't they? :lol:  But they really set off the transition from grip to blade.  How was the horn to work with?  

Hi Alan!

Buffalo horn is the micarta of horn in my opinion. Very easy to work, carve, polish, etc. I really like working with it.

• Like 1

Fantastic Dave,  I'll take that sort of quality over quantity any day :)

Holy smokes Dave, that's super cool. Is that Habaki-like thing soldered to the guard-like thing, or is it one piece? The transition looks seamless from here. I know what it's like to only make a couple of blades per year too. Unfortunately, for me this year still has yet to see a single finished knife...…...

Thanks Josh. Yes, the collar and the plate bolster are hard soldered construction. J. Arthur Loose finally taught me some basics on how to solder correctly (a lot of it is just having a proper torch). 

Grins.

• Thanks 1

Dave, I have got to say I really like that one!! The carving you done on the handle really sets it off! It looks like there is power flowing thru the handle, from the pommel down thru the handle and out into the blade!! OK, so maybe that sounds stupid but it was a first impression when I saw the knife!! Top shelf material on that one!!

Edited by C Craft

Great job on that one, Dave.  It keeps me wanting to come back to it to have another look.

Doug

Nice job Dave..........................B)

On 11/9/2018 at 8:58 PM, C Craft said:

Dave, I have got to say I really like that one!! The carving you done on the handle really sets it off! It looks like there is power flowing thru the handle, from the pommel down thru the handle and out into the blade!! OK, so maybe that sounds stupid but it was a first impression when I saw the knife!! Top shelf material on that one!!

Thanks bud. That's the effect I was hoping for, so glad it resonated with you!

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. The words of other makers mean a lot to me. The Facebook "that's amazing!" comments are nice and totally cool of them, but somehow only the opinions of people who have actually made a blade really "count" for me.

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 1

That is a beautiful knife Dave!  I love the blade shape and really is almost Bowie-ish in its shape.  Which if course, is perfectly great with me :)

Dave, this looks like a powerful blade. "Relic" comes to mind but that seems overused these days in the knife making world. Any plans for a sheath?

I get your lack of enthusiasm for Facebook praise. You see the same "that's amazing" comments for everything under the sun. It's totally different when it comes from your peers who know the amount of work it takes.