Sign in to follow this  
Robert D.

Something ive wanted to try.

So I have wanted to give a go at forging a traditional tanto, well this last weekend I decided that now was the time. 

I had some spare leaf spring floating around for this project for over a year now, because I want to screw up on free steel if I am going to screw up. So I cut this length in half so I was working with about 12 inches by 1 inch by 1/4 inch thick.

I started by clipping the tip so when I forge the bevels the spine straightens out. Then started narrowing the profile and adding some taper to the blade. As you can see from the pic doing so increased the length significantly. Then I started the process of forging in the tang area. 

Now that I am looking at it, the blade still seems too wide profile wise. Once I go to hammer in the bevels I am going to end up widening the blade probably back to around the original 1 inch profile that it started with. Which to me seems too wide for a tanto, but I am no expert by any means on that topic.  Also it seems like I might end up pushing this blade into the Wakazashi length range as the blade at the tang transition area is already over 12 inches long. 

Critiques and suggestions welcome. 

Also, ignore all the beer cans, My son has been earning money from dad crushing cans, he just isnt all that reliable about cleaning them up all the time. 

tanto.jpg

I have found that the only way to reliably forge weld any sort of billet in my forge is by the beer measurement system. ( BMS for short )

Its a very simple system, If the billet is cold when you throw it in, it needs to spend 1 beer in the forge coming up to fluxing temps. 
Once its been fluxed and returned to the fire. Drink another beer then check your billet. 
If its hot enough, hit it. if not clean it reflux it and leave it in for another beer. 

Rinse and repeat till your forgewelding is done...

So far, the system works great in my charcoal forge, not sure how well it will work in my propane forge yet... 

• Haha 1

We have very low alcohol content beer here in Utah, the normal stuff is 3.2% alcohol by weight. 

If you want stronger stuff, you have to go to a state run liquor store and buy it there at about a 70% markup ( a normal out of state 6 pack of budweiser will run you about 12 bucks ) so its really not even drinking a full beer per rotation. 

Yikes, here we've got every type of beer ranging from 4% to 12% almost everywhere. The average beer is 5.5%. Canadian winters require stronger beer I guess!

That's the way it is in most of the U.S. too.  Utah and a couple of other areas of the country are just "special".  Lol:D

I cant speak for other states, 

But for Utah, its because of our very mormon leadership. 

Funny thing, there is a joke here, 

Why do you always take two mormons fishing...

So they dont drink all your beer... 

In Utah us veterans cheat by going to Hill airforce base or going across borders.

That doesnt with missionaries because they come back and then they both drink your beer.

Good point, I always forget about the missionaries... 

Being down in Murray, Camp Williams would be closer for me then Hill.  

"Real beer" in the liquor stores are only about a buck a brew. I can get a 15 pack of (Utah) natties for 8.49....so if ya do the math its pretty much 6's

Every time I roll through Wyoming.....the beer is that much or more.'

I am not real happy about the whole medical mary jane dealio.......what good did it do for us to vote on that.

My boy showed me a meme on fb yesterday.

It was the state farm guy that dangles the dolla bill with the fishing pole.

Except on this one he is dangling a pot leaf saying you almost had it.

Then the guy was labeled LDS church. lol

Yeah, its disappointing that we were able to vote on something, and then to have the state come back and change it after it was voted on is pretty underhanded. 

• Like 1