Sign in to follow this  
justin carnecchia

Slip Joint Trapper in W2 and Micarta

So here's something a little different for me. Not excatly my first effort at a folder, but close. I did one years ago from parts water-jet cut to a pattern, but this is my first with no pattern.

Blade and spring are W2, liners and bolsters are 416, and scales are micarta.

Really steep learning curve here and I've far from mastered it, but will keep trying. It would definitely help to have a decent drill press and surface grinder.. And a ton of other tools.. someday maybe. 

Thanks for looking, feedback is always appreciated.

DSCN2111-1152x864.JPG

DSCN2104-1152x864.JPG

DSCN2105-1152x864.JPG

DSCN2100-1152x864.JPG

• Like 3

Real nice work!  Love the color!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

The color's a funny thing, online it was listed as brown.. And when I got it, the surface was a pretty dark brown.. But as soon as I started working it, it turned a much lighter yellowish? After much sanding and polishing it came out like this.. I do like it, but I don't know that I would call it brown.

Anyway, it was a fun project. I'm doing my best to diversify myself as a maker. I also have a kitchen knife and a damascus "tanto" almost done, then probably more slippies till I feel I've gotten the hang of them.

Thanks again, Justin

Hey Justin, nice work. I should probably make a few more slip joints. I made a bunch of them a few years back and they are really fun to make and easy to sell. Do you have this book?

https://smile.amazon.com/Make-Folding-Knives-Step-Step/dp/0873413903/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1542249906&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+make+folding+knives

Yes it was fun. Most of my blades take a full day or more to sand. It was refreshing to sand a blade in half an hour..

No, I don't have that book, I'll have to check it out. I've been looking at guys like Don Hanson who seem to do everything ( and do it well) and figured it couldn't hurt to expand my repertoire. 

Edited by justin carnecchia

Well done!

I don't really want to, but it seems the only reliable way to make a living from knives is folders......

You can be proud of that effort!

Nice!  I have to try a folder one of these years...

Thanks guys!

Very fine work. Most of the retail knife market has been drowning in "tacticool" for too long. I would love to see more custom makers re visiting the classic pattern pocket knives. If this is an example of your early work with folders I can't wait to see where it goes! Bravo!

Very nice my friend! I definitely like the clean look of the blade! You're off to a great start. Look forward to seeing more folders from you!

As to Alan, why haven't you yet? I'm sure you'd try to mix in some wrought and Scandinavian influence in there somewhere. =P

On 11/14/2018 at 9:32 PM, justin carnecchia said:

But as soon as I started working it, it turned a much lighter yellowish? After much sanding and polishing it came out like this.. I do like it, but I don't know that I would call it brown.

Have you tried oiling it? I've worked with black G10 a few times, and it always ended up a medium gray when I was finished with it. I tried using some kind of oil finish on it one time for some reason, and the G10 turned much, much closer to black. 

Regardless, that is a classy little blade. I'd carry it. 

15 hours ago, Austin_Lyles said:

As to Alan, why haven't you yet? I'm sure you'd try to mix in some wrought and Scandinavian influence in there somewhere. =P

:lol:  Yeah, it'd be a folding seax with a composite pattern-welded blade...

Justin, that's what micarta does.  As Adam said, try oiling it, that ought to darken it up a good bit.  I have a small amount of genuine Westinghouse Micarta from the 1950s.  It's a deep reddish-brown in its aged, oxidized state, but when you work it it becomes that same light yellowish-tan.  Oh, and thank you for using pins! Nothing in the knife world turns me off faster than seeing screws on a knife handle.  Especially Torx screws.  

8 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Yeah, it'd be a folding seax with a composite pattern-welded blade...

So I guess you haven't seen @Petr Florianek newest folders yet? If you were on FB, you would surely have seen them...….I hope you get the chance.

Nope, haven't seen anything of his lately.  Tell him to get his large red-haired butt back on the forum!  :lol: