Sign in to follow this  
C Craft

Wayne Goddard RIP

I just found out Wayne Goddard, father of 51WyJ72IyPL._SX377_BO1,204,203,200_.jpghas passed! He passed yesterday! There has probably been more knife carriers launched by this one book than most folks would know!! RIP Wayne!! 

• Sad 1

Sorry but who was Wayne Goddard (RIP) sorry I’ve never heard of this individual.

Bummer !!  A great loss ........................

First book I read... Can't say my knife shop only costs 50 bucks, but I definitely learned a lot from that guy.

Well, bugger...  I didn't know him, but yes, he was a huge influence on the craft.  Andy, get that book.  

• Like 1

Wayne was a great guy.  He was one of the early ABS Mastersmiths and one of the powers behind the idea of a minimalist shop.  Not that his shop lacked tools, he had one of the first forging presses I ever heard about, a 70 tonner named Fat Albert, but he believed that you could do this stuff with very little, hence the book.  He was also one of the founders of the Oregon Knife Makers Association, who put on the biggest knife show on the west coast.

One of the first knife making classes I took was with Wayne and Gene Chapman.

To show you what Wayne thought about knifemaking and the community, when his illness eroded his skills to the point he could no longer make pieces to his own high standards, he gave up his MS stamp.

Geoff

A true legend but very accessible and of an incredibly practical mindset. I am amazed at how many people his book influenced. The column in Blade magazine was the first thing I turned to every issue. He inspired many people. I think his book really helped give knifemaking and bladesmithing a boost at a moment when it could have faltered. Whether people copied his $50 shop or not it got them to realize that knifemaking didn't require a machine shop full of tools. I think his "start from scratch" principles helped level the playing field. I wish him Godspeed.

I read his "Wonder of Knifemaking" book several times when I was getting started, tons of great info.  Also have his Wire Damascus Hunting Knife video on VHS, very easy to follow and produce good solid cable damascus.  He was definitely a great influence!

$50 Dollar Knife Shop got me started in my first forging efforts; RIP Wayne!

I had breakfast with him at the Atlanta show with my wife the year after I got my JS stamp. An incredible mind.