jheinen

Little Giant 25 Help

My push rod has a sharp bend up high.

15428455471038480892060420862065.jpg

My foot treadle is pretty high off the floor when at rest

15428456194155934537432541692454.jpg

I'll have to heat it in the forge tomorrow to bend it. It's about 1/2" thick. I'll give it a shot. That may solve the issue with the hammer not starting, but I don't think it will solve the problem of it not stopping. I suspect grease is not getting to the shaft, so I'll take the grease fitting off and try to clean it out. 

19 minutes ago, jheinen said:

I'll have to heat it in the forge tomorrow to bend it. It's about 1/2" thick. I'll give it a shot. That may solve the issue with the hammer not starting, but I don't think it will solve the problem of it not stopping. I suspect grease is not getting to the shaft, so I'll take the grease fitting off and try to clean it out. 

Either the grease thing, or a shorter spring to apply more tension to pull the flywheel back.

Did you say that the grease was coming out of the joint between the bell fitting and the pipe? Sounds like a cracked pipe or fitting. That would keep the grease from getting into the crank.

10 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Either the grease thing, or a shorter spring to apply more tension to pull the flywheel back.

Did you say that the grease was coming out of the joint between the bell fitting and the pipe? Sounds like a cracked pipe or fitting. That would keep the grease from getting into the crank.

I tightened the fitting and the grease seeping out of the joint mostly stopped. Now it's coming out of the grease gun nozzle. 

The fact that it ran fine before you moved it suggests a bent pushrod or spring mount.  The grease thing is important, but I'm beginning to think it's not the main issue.

I took the zerk off this morning and have been cleaning out the tube with degreaser and a coat hanger. Got a lot of gunk out of there. Where, exactly should I see the grease splooging out? I'd assume that I'd see degreaser coming out somewhere, but I don't see anything.

Progress - I shortened the treadle linkage and now the hammer is hitting MUCH harder and faster at full deflection. The clutch blocks retract fully into the pulley, and on release they come all the way out. Unfortunately, once it gets running it still won't stop until I shut off the power, however it's hitting much more softly when it's running on than it was before.  I cleaned out the grease tube with degreaser and filled it back up. Grease is still coming out around the zerk joint, and I don't see any grease squirting out anywhere else. I'm not sure where it should be squirting out. Should I put some teflon tape around the fitting threads to help seal it up more and get more pressure in there?

Congrats on the hitting harder, but that is weird that it won't stop with the block fully retracted.  :huh:  I mean, that's what drives the hammer, the blocks are attached to a ring (the "spider") that is keyed on the shaft but can slide in and out.  With no contact between blocks and flywheel there should be no movement of the shaft.  

As for grease, you should see it squirting out around the clutch spider casting where it slides on the shaft AND between the spider and the pulley. The pulley rides on the spider at both idle and engaged.  If there's old dried goo in there once you engage the clutch, the pulley stays stuck to the shaft for a while after you disengage the clutch.  That's all I can think of on that.   For now, at any rate.  Food coma!

These guys know more than I do. But, when I went and picked up my hammer from Little Giant... Sid told me not to over grease that zerk in the back because there was nowhere for the grease to go. 

But I haven't gone dissecting. Just what I was told so I've been careful about that particular zerk. 

Well, if Sid said it that's good enough for me!  Maybe just oil the crap out of the spider/pulley interface?

I cleaned the crap out of the grease hole again. Lots of degreaser, and I used a swab to clean it out, and used a bent coat hanger to dig around in the hole inside. Put it back together with teflon tape and was able to get even more pressure (although seeing the above comment about not over-greasing the hole, maybe packing it full isn't the way to go). Still have the same problem. I'll try oiling the heck out of the spider and pulley.

More oil doesn't help. Everything turns smoothly by hand, and nothing seems to be sticking. The hammer is actually very quiet. But it just won't stop. 

Might I make a suggestion a quality video under use might show more of the problem. These guys that use them all the time might pick up on what is/isn't happening!!

Yes, I will try and take a video. In other news, I reached out to Roger at Little Giant and, amazingly, he responded right away. On Thanksgiving. Talk about customer service!  It turns out that the hammer running on is one of the most frequently cited problems, and he pointed me to the FAQ that I somehow missed. Here's what it says:

Why does my hammer run on after releasing the treadle?

The 5 main causes are 1) the Drive Belts are too tight, 2) the Main Bearings have too much clearance, 3) the Clutch Pulley is not disengaging from Clutch Spider , or4) Babbitt in clutch pulley has to much clearance or wear, 5) in unheated shops the grease used in the Mainshaft/Clutch Pulley Bearing is too thick!

I'm pretty confident at this point that #3 and #5 are not the problem. I can try to loosen the belt for # 1. I'm not sure how to check for #2 or #4.

An update - I had to go to Chicago last week, and then I got sick, so I haven't had much time to work on the hammer. This morning I tried loosening the belt, but it didn't fix the problem. I also tightened the bolts that hold the shaft, but that also did not fix the problem. I'm not sure what to try next short of pouring new bearings. Anyone in the Seattle area want to help rebuild a little giant? Extra beer if you know how to pour babbitts :)

Give Sid Sudemeier a call, his number is on the website.  He can talk you through it.

I think I may be close to fixing it. Still suspecting that the issue is not enough lubrication between the shaft and pulley, which results in just enough friction to keep it spinning once the clutch is released, I squirted a bunch of oil where the red arrow is pointing. Now it no longer hits once the treadle is released. The hammer goes up and down two or three times and then stops. 

BTW, does it matter which direction the hammer spins? I've noticed that all of the mechanical hammers I've seen spin clockwise when facing the hammer. Mine is set up to run counterclockwise.

IMG_2637.jpg

I don't think direction of rotation matters, unless the hammer was run all its life in one direction and then you switch it.  Parts get "run in," and wear patterns develop.  It looks like yours has been set up to run the way it is for a good long time, though.

I have been told to reverse the direction after a few years to "even out the wear on the motor bushings" or some such thing. It's just a matter of polarity in the motor. One wiring way spins clockwise the other counterclockwise. I wouldn't worry about it. The mechanics of this are pretty simple. I don't think it matters either way.

BTW, from your oil in the shaft post, I suspect you have some crud in there that needs to be removed. Possibly a burr on the shaft that needs to get worn down. Work it back and forth a few times while adding oil. It should dislodge whatever is causing the sticking. Or you could get some steel hot and hammer the snot out of it for a few hours. That would probably work just as well.:)

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

@jheinen Did you ever get this fixed?

It's improved, but I wouldn't say it's completely fixed. If I squirt a good bit of oil between the shaft and the spider while it's running it will still make about three or four revolutions before stopping, but it usually won't actually hit the anvil when it's doing that. So it's usable, but I wish it would stop immediately when I let off the treadle. I think I may have to pour new bearings, as there are currently no shims on mine. On the LG rebuild video Sid said there should be a fair bit of friction when the bearing caps are tightened appropriately. I suspect that there might not be enough friction on mine. The other option might be to install a brake on the flywheel.

Edited by jheinen