Jason West

Best beginner steel

Of course, I am assuming you are using a thermocouple to monitor the temp.

I'm awaiting delivery of a suitable thermocouple so can't go beyond forging until it arrives. For forging temps, I'm just going by color and feel.

I still have to forge out the tang but my tanks were beginning to freeze up yesterday, not to mention my poor little arm was getting tired :P. Today, I needed to do a few repairs on the forge, so it'll be a few days before I get the chance to get back to it.

It would be no surprise if I screw up my first "real steel" knife but with the right info and guidance, I'm hoping I can pull it off with some satisfaction.

Wow thanks for the collaboration guys. This info is great. Can't knock experienced Smiths! I'm currently restoring a Katana which I've had for years, cheap cheap cheap steel! I believe its a cast sword with no folding made in Pakistan. I don't intend to use it just as decor but would like to acid etch a hamone in. What percentage ferric chloride should I use? Thanks again 

2 hours ago, Jason West said:

acid etch a hamone in

If the blade wasn't differentially heat treated, you are unlikely to get a real hamon just from etching (25% Ferric/75% distilled water seems to work well for me for etching).  You can fake the hamone by putting a surface resist on the top half of the blade and letting the balance etch, but any knowledgeable viewer will be able to tell.  Remember to bring the blade up to a good surface finish before you go to etch, as abrasion after the fact will ruin this fake hamon.  Even if the blade was differentially heat treated, there are a lot of steps to get a hamon that "pops", and some types of high carbon steel are not particularly suitable.  Hopefully someone with more experience with hamons will chime in with more detail.

A more worrying issue is that you "don't intend to use it just as decor".  Many of the Pakistani swords are not particularly well made and could be extremely dangerous to use.  Please take care with any cutting exercises.  Ignore if your sentence is just missing a comma after the word "it".

Haha! Thanks Dan, and yes I was just missing the comma! Its only a half tang sword so not sutible for use but just want it to look good (or as good as it can!) As a display. I don't have a belt sander or grinder yet so can't spark test it to roughly gauge the carbon content so its all speculation at this point what its made from. I only know its stainless steel. 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Jason West said:

I only know its stainless steel.

Bad news for you, stainless steel does not stain so you can forget etching a fake hamon on it. :lol:

Edited by Joël Mercier

Nothing to add....but this thread reminded me that not very many years ago I was very determined to make a large camp chopper from a piece of 403 stainless that was leftover from a roof rack build....

Killed a few files and almost myself.....didn't get far :P 

Thanks Joël saves me wasting money and time on ferric for no result! I'll just put it together and hang it up. I'll have to just make my own when I have the skill!