Sign in to follow this  
Gerhard Gerber

Bench grinder replacement

We need a wire brush at my afternoon job, but the quality of the wire brushes for sale as well as the bench grinders is such that the unbalanced wheel soon destroys the grinder.....

My idea was to order another motor along with my belt grinder, build a frame with the motor mounted in the middle driving two parallel shafts running on bearings.  This would give you 4 potential points to attached stones and wire brushes, you would not be able to stop the wheels due to a 5/6x stronger motor, and due to the much sturdier construction the lacking balance of the wire wheels shouldn't matter much.......?

I don't have that many original ideas, this one is just an adaptation of some of the DIY belt grinders I've seen.

Do you think it will be practical and work?

Yes indeed!  The earliest powered buffers and wire wheels were mounted like that, driven by belt from an overhead shaft, which in turn was driven by first waterwheel, then steam, then electricity.  A good stout shaft, a pulley, and a pair of pillow blocks and arbors to fit the wheels to the shaft and you're ready to go.

• Thanks 1

It also g8ves you the ability to choose your speed by pulley sizing.

Thanks for confirming Alan & Vern, I'll start working on that.....B)

I have a small grinder that is run by that type of set up. I will get a picture of it later this afternoon.

• Thanks 1

A friend gave me a tool for dressing the wheels. A single segment from circular diamond saw welded to a 6" handle. Its lasts very long.