Stephen Stumbo

Wrought iron tomahawk.

Hi guys! I think I said this last time I showed up after a long absence, but I am alive!  Between work, and watching the baby when I'm home, so the wife has a break, forging has taken a back burner, but I do manage to finish a few things here and there, lol.  

Just finished up these new tomahawks recently. 

First piece: Head is forged from wagon wheel wrought iron, wrapped and welded, with a 1084 high carbon steel bit. Finished up with a long etch to really show off the grain. 

The handle is a really nice piece of bird's-eye Maple that I special ordered just for this piece. 

The other two pieces are back to my typical hawks, mild steel head with 1084 bits, on curly Maple handles.  The only thing not as per the norm, are the inlaid brass plates.  The customer wanted to engrave his sons names on these for Christmas presents. 

#eagle_eye_forge #tomahawk #handmade #handforged #wroughtiron #blacksmith #hawk

IMG_5884.JPG

IMG_5881.JPG

IMG_5878.JPG

IMG_5877.JPG

IMG_5865.JPG

IMG_5876.JPG

3245.jpeg

3271.jpeg

3265.jpeg

3273.jpeg

Edited by Stephen Stumbo
  • Like 3

Welcome back!  Good to see you're still at it.  Good job on the inlay, too!  

Well, that is some gnarly wrought! Interesting pattern, none of the usual woodgrain appearance, some relatively homogenous areas. Beautiful pieces!

Beautiful work!  And congrats on the new kid!  :)

Love that wrought hawk. And the brass inlays look great!

On 11/30/2018 at 7:09 AM, James Higson said:

Well, that is some gnarly wrought! Interesting pattern, none of the usual woodgrain appearance, some relatively homogenous areas. Beautiful pieces!

Indeed!   I found two old wagon wheels in an old family barn. Checked if they were wrought, and I hit the jackpot.  But like you say, their pattern is nothing like the large wrought chain I also have.  Quite an interesting difference.  

On 11/29/2018 at 7:48 AM, Alan Longmire said:

Welcome back!  Good to see you're still at it.  Good job on the inlay, too!  

Thank you.  The inlays had me nervous when I went to do em, because the customer asked me about them after the handles were completely finished (I did charge extra for that, lol).

But, all in all, I am happy with them, and I was able to get the refinished area around them to blend back in well, which had me the most worried.    

On 11/30/2018 at 1:36 PM, James Helm said:

Beautiful work!  And congrats on the new kid!  :)

Thank you sir!  He's a handful, lol.  1 yr old, and thinks he's 3.  I can't wait for him to get old enough to "help" in the shop.  

16 hours ago, Stephen Stumbo said:

Indeed!   I found two old wagon wheels in an old family barn. Checked if they were wrought, and I hit the jackpot.  But like you say, their pattern is nothing like the large wrought chain I also have.  Quite an interesting difference.  

Yep, anchor chain is usually really clean; wagon tire is usually the gnarliest crap out there. B)  You can refine it for interesting effects, just do a few stacking and welding cycles.