Sign in to follow this  
Brian Dougherty

Forge Lining Question

I'm sure this has been discussed to death here, but I haven't been able to find an answer, so I am punting...

I'm building a new forge.  I'm following pretty much the same approach I did with the last one 4 years ago (Which is pretty much the design Wayne Coe promotes on his site), but am using an old forklift propane tank in an effort to get a couple more inches of welding heat length.

Anyway, the forge  body is cut out, and I got it lined with 2" of ceramic fiber over the weekend.  The next step is to cast a Mizzou floor, and a thin coating of Mizzou over the walls.

So, my question is:  Is there any value in using a rigidizer before I cast in the Mizzou?  I have the refractory on hand, but will have to wait a week for the rigidizer to arrive.  I'd kind of like to get to coating the wool now if possible.

The only thing I have thought of in favor of the rigidizer is that it may keep the fibers in place when I inevitably poke a hole in the castable lining some day.

If you're going to line the surface with Mizzou, I don't think you need it.

Geoff

I'm with Geoff on this.  Plus the ridgidizer tends to compact the ceramic matting a little and cuts down on it's insulating value.

Doug

I use a cast mizzou floor and several satanite coatings on the kaowool myself

and patch the satanite when needed, might try mizzou on the walls now........

Edited by Clifford Brewer
punkshooashun

is the mizzou necessary if you rigidize the insulation. from what I gather you only need 1 or the other, is that correct?

A rigidizer stiffens the surface but is not much protection against the slings and arrows of every day use.  Mizzou does both.

Geoff