Gary Mulkey

Completed Shively Bowie

Here's the finished product of my Henry Shively style Bowie.  This one wasn't intended to be an exact duplicate and has several of my own additions including a damascus pattern of my own creation in the blade.

IMG_1940_opt

Hope you like it.

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 3

I do indeed!

You captured the feel of a Schively with your own spin.

• Thanks 1

You got's the touch Gary , nice work as always....................B)

• Thanks 1

You just kilt a tree......... You've really been doing great work over the last several years. I still remember meeting you at the Spirit of Steel show a week or two after 911. 

What is the handle material? 

16 minutes ago, Raymond Richard said:

You just kilt a tree......... You've really been doing great work over the last several years. I still remember meeting you at the Spirit of Steel show a week or two after 911. 

What is the handle material? 

Thanks, Ray.  The handle is paper micarta.

1 hour ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Thanks, Ray.  The handle is paper micarta.

Now that is interesting!

Stunning knife Gary, as always, one of my absolute favourite parts is the imperfect checkering, Cindy Crawford's mole B)

9 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

Now that is interesting!

Stunning knife Gary, as always, one of my absolute favourite parts is the imperfect checkering, Cindy Crawford's mole B)

Thanks, Gerhart.  The paper micarta turned out to be a lot more difficult to checker than I had planned.  I dulled most of my checkering files doing this one.  I'm glad the imperfections don't bother you as that was the best that I could do with this material.

It really is impressive for a fan of that era and of Schively. Gratifying to see it all represented at such a high level.

• Thanks 1

I  almost exclusively use home made micarta, and again thanks to this place I've been itching to carve or texture it....

Found checkering files but one costs as much as all my other files put together.

:) Imperfections is maybe the wrong word......just the fact that it's obviously hand made as opposed to a machine is very appealing B)

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

I  almost exclusively use home made micarta, and again thanks to this place I've been itching to carve or texture it....

Found checkering files but one costs as much as all my other files put together.

:) Imperfections is maybe the wrong word......just the fact that it's obviously hand made as opposed to a machine is very appealing B)

I made a checkered handle a few years ago with some old Westinghouse butterscotch micarta and it checkered much easier than this did.  Maybe the difference was linen vs paper in the micarta.