Sign in to follow this  
JPH

Revenge of New Stuff

Hello:

Here is this last week's work..One worked and the others are what I call a pattern fail.. well.. as I have said before..experience is what you get when you don't get what you want so...while they turned out OK as a knife in general they are not what I wanted...  Materials are 1095/L-6 and a small amount of meteoric iron..  

Now the one that worked was the one I was sure wouldn't..that is the wavy feather pattern..THAT one did work and I think it came out pretty spiffy..I just wish I could make a longer piece cause a full length sword in this pattern would be totally unreal..It was a real PITA doing this pattern and I think I found a way that isn't so nerve wracking...More on this later once I work it out and get things sorted..

Hope these pics work..

This old man is back to work...

JPH

DSC05013A.jpg

DSC05014A.jpg

DSC05015A.jpg

DSC05017A.jpg

DSC05019A.jpg

DSC05020A.jpg

DSC05022A.jpg

DSC05023A.jpg

DSC05025A.jpg

DSC05026A.jpg

• Like 6

Absolutely love the guillon dagger.  Is that some more of your famous bovine ivory for the handle?

Doug

DL: 

Yes, you are 100% correct SIR!!  That Is the very rare and unusual Bovine Ivory from the wild and woolly Bovines that once roamed over  the American continents  a while ago...

Note: their descendants are still running wild here today.. but they are seldom seen..(case in point: When was the last time you have ever  seen a  Bovine in the wild??)

JP...( I am off to get some rack time.)..H

Y'know, you're right!  I'm surrounded by domesticated bovines, but nary a wild one to be found. :lol:

That bendy feather pattern is AWESOME!  I mean, feather is a cool pattern anyway, but that undulating core is seriously cool.  Wonder if you could end-stack several billets to get the length?  I mean, it would show, but maybe you (not me!) could match the pattern close enough that it wouldn't be a glaring thing...

18 hours ago, JPH said:

This old man is back to work...

Yay;). Good to see these JPH. Failures or not, I like them but the feather is something else. As for wild bovines, one of my lecturers used to say Brahmans should be classified as game and not cows.

98CFAF43-BA23-4A3C-B53B-0061D9E8BBC7.jpeg

Holy cow that wavy feather pattern is beautiful.  So glad you're back in the swing of things in the new place!

Hello!! I am still here kicking and screaming....getting ready to do something I haven't done in like 6 years..a  knife show!! It's this weekend (the 12th)  so I am cranking out more stuff so I can make a decent showing.. Will let ya'all see what I have new if I can before the show...

JPH

• Thanks 1

Man…I would be DAMN PROUD to own any of your "pattern fails".  :)