Archie Zietman

lawnmower forge

Hello.

I was perusing the older pages of the hot work forum, and there were several mentions of the "lawnmower forge" on keenjunk. Keenjunk is gone, and I am curious about this lawnmower forge. How does it work? what fuel does it burn? anyone have any pictures?

Thanks,

Archie

I remember seeing it at keenjunk. Basically it was a stripped mower deck flipped upside down and used as a fire pot forge. Sweany might remember more details on how it was lined or what it used for fuel.

You can go to http://www.archive.org/ and put keenjunk.com into the wayback machine it will give you a list of dates the website changed and let you browse it. It is by far not complete but still a cool thing to see what website look like over the years.

Brad

yep upside down lawnmower deck, brake drum for the firepot and a little coal. IIRC

That was my creation on Keenjunk, I have a bit more detail in my post over at swordforum. In brief, plumbing parts, a brake disk, and wood ash and clay. All bolted since I didn't have a welder back then.

Michael

lawnmower_forge.JPG

lawnmower_forge_underside.JPG

Edited by mstu

Yah i rememberd this nifty forge too so today i killed the lawn mower and welded it up much the same way lined it with fire clay and fire brick and use an old vacume cleaner to power it with a valve for air controle , i use charcoal i will use it for tanto's when claying them up as i can keep a close eye on the blade and saves on charcoal on the big forge I recon you deserve a medal for this one MSTU mate good on ya ;)

Thanks Tell, glad to be of use. I hate to throw away things, and I'd rather reuse something like this than have to haul it off and then pay for new materials to make something like it. The hole in the middle was the hard part last time I made a forge table, and the lawnmower deck already had it made for me.

Post a photo of yours when you have the chance.

Michael

Pity im not so good with a camera but you get the idear after all it was yours Ps good job the wife dont know were you live :angry: I now have a New grass muncher thanks to you cheers mate this is just the rough version of the thing gonna put it on a better set of legs but hey it works great A big thanks again I HATE WASTE TOO but according to the wife i make a lot too he he he

lawnmower_forge_002.jpg

lawnmower_forge_001.jpg

the hole was there i added a shutter valve and old extractor manifould from a car as the blower pipe it takes

all the heat you can throw at it cheers MSTU beeeeeutifull idear ;)