Sign in to follow this  
jake cleland

Wyrm Hunter's Knife

I forged this blade 3 or 4 years ago from offcuts from a sword, to demonstrate multibar welding for a friend. I fitted an antler and macassar ebony handle, but it had some weld flaws, so I never bothered finishing it. Every time that friend sees it in my workshop, he pesters me to finish it so he can buy it,  then last week I was talking to his girlfriend in the pub and she asked if I had anything that would make a suitable christmas present, and I remembered this one, so I polished the blade, did some fairly rustic carving on the handle, glued it up and had my sister make up a sheath for it. Blade is wrough, suminagashi and silver steel...

wyrm 2.jpg

wyrm 3.jpg

wyrm 4.jpg

tell me what you think...

• Like 5

Very nice antler handle on that one.

Tell you what I think?

3 hours ago, jake cleland said:

did some fairly rustic carving on the handle

Yeah, sure. That's rustic....(rolls eyes and hates himself) 

3 hours ago, jake cleland said:

then last week I was talking to his girlfriend in the pub and she asked if I had anything that would make a suitable christmas present,

I think your friend finally figured out how to get you to finish that thing so he could have it. Get his girlfriend to ply you with ale.

Here's what I truly think: I think your carvings are absolutely wonderful. I've looked at your work for the last few years now and even your "rustic" stuff looks great. You have a knack for creating what I call "modern relics". Someday, I hope to hold one of your pieces in my hand.

I think that your friend is going to be over the moon to get that knife.

Doug

Dude, rustic my fat rear end!  :lol:

Nice one, Jake!