I've been watching videos on building a jig for hand filing and i see people clamping the knife in one position and filing the entire length of the bevel. I was wondering does the angle of the file not change as you move further from the centre of the jig or is it negligible? 

It's proportional to the length of your jig. I built mine quite long to diminish that downside and allow the use of my 14" double cut bastard in long strokes.

I would say this effect was negligible on short blades 6" and less.

Edited by Joël Mercier
2 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

It's proportional to the length of your jig. I built mine quite long to diminish that downside and allow the use of my 14" double cut bastard in long strokes.

I would say this effect was negligible on short blades 6" and less.

Thanks i dont know why i didn't think about that. How long is your jig

5 hours ago, steven smith said:

I made a jig where instead of a single point for the end of the file holder rod to rest on I have a flat surface that is lifted by two bolts to change the angle, the file and guide rod move freely so the angle can be kept the same, I can even draw file a little.

Could you please show me a picture of it

Of course, I use a little c-clamp to hold the blade while im using the jig.

Just make the jig as wide as your blade is long and you can do the whole thing the same angle. 

You could lower one end of the jig to file in distal taper but I havent played with that so im not too sure. 

I would really recommend using something hard like aluminum for the plate the blade sits on, with softer materials the tang can be pressed into the material which will make the tip of the blade raise and it will throw everything off.

19 hours ago, steven smith said:

I made a jig where instead of a single point for the end of the file holder rod to rest on I have a flat surface that is lifted by two bolts to change the angle, the file and guide rod move freely so the angle can be kept the same, I can even draw file 

42 minutes ago, steven smith said:

Of course, I use a little c-clamp to hold the blade while im using the jig.

Just make the jig as wide as your blade is long and you can do the whole thing the same angle. 

You could lower one end of the jig to file in distal taper but I havent played with that so im not too sure. 

I would really recommend using something hard like aluminum for the plate the blade sits on, with softer materials the tang can be pressed into the material which will make the tip of the blade raise and it will throw everything off.

Very cool thanks for the idea