Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Getting ready for attempt #1 of forge welding

Looks like you got the center bars to stick!  Hang in there, dude. B)

Just now, Alan Longmire said:

Looks like you got the center bars to stick!  Hang in there, dude. B)

I think where I failed Alan was I didn't get the bars hot enough.  Just frustrating in a way but not too much of a downer lol.  At least I got to play with fire for a bit.  So I was happy about that.

It took me about 3 tries before I really started to get the whole thing to stick. Heat control killed me the first time too, had the outside layers hot enough but not the inside. Heat control and having a clean welding surface are the two most important factors for me in getting a good weld. Once I realized that suddenly I could do it all day (or at least until the propane ran out).

3 minutes ago, P Jones said:

It took me about 3 tries before I really started to get the whole thing to stick. Heat control killed me the first time too, had the outside layers hot enough but not the inside. Heat control and having a clean welding surface are the two most important factors for me in getting a good weld. Once I realized that suddenly I could do it all day (or at least until the propane ran out).

I think I was more T-Ed off about my rebar handle falling off lol.  Oh well.  

Yup that happens to me all the time, I don't know if its just that common or my stick welding skills suck (which they do). I just gave up on the rebar and left one piece of metal a little longer than the rest so I could grab onto with the tongs.

I welded most of it with my flux core welder lol.  I just don’t think I had a strong enough weld on the handle.  It happens.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:51 PM, AndyB said:

I think where I failed Alan was I didn't get the bars hot enough.  Just frustrating in a way but not too much of a downer lol.  At least I got to play with fire for a bit.  So I was happy about that.

Yeah... not that I know much about it but that would seem to be the case.

Insufficient heat was my biggest worry when I tried this, especially given my homemade propane forge of arbitrary design. However, in worrying about the heat and the fluxing, I instead neglected to clean the exposed surfaces and that brought about my downfall resulting in delamination, which only got worse during the heat treat.

sanmaidelam1.jpg

sanmaidelam2.jpg

Edited by MickM
OCD