So this is my first knife and i want to make a mini cleave because i like the way they look. I've only done a bit of grinding to get the shape a filing to smooth it out a bit. Its made from a scrap piece of leaf spring which is thick, making it quite beefy. The piece is a hair under 7mm but im on holiday so im for the job of working with such a thick piece. Any ideas and helpful critique is welcome and i also need ideas for handle mateial 

IMG_20181216_114852.jpg

IMG_20181216_114845.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Filing jig is built so its time to start filing. The knife is not exactly perfect because i tried to straighten it with a hammer. It was not a good idea. Not only did i not straighten it but i also left hammer marks in it so on some edge its not gonne meet op with the handle nicely. I then decided to take some flat rectangular tubing heat the knife and the clamp it to a flat surface. It sort of worked its all most perfect but the hammering thinned a part of the tang.. I geuss atleast the knife will be a good learning experience. 

IMG_20181225_102850.jpg

You have more than enough material there to make it worthwhile to taper that tang. If you do that you will move the balance forward which is a benefit to a chopper. 

8 hours ago, Vern Wimmer said:

You have more than enough material there to make it worthwhile to taper that tang. If you do that you will move the balance forward which is a benefit to a chopper. 

Not sure how to much a tapered tang with hand tools. Balance is allready a bit forward 

Edited by Adriaan G
  • 2 weeks later...