Alex Taylors

Possible Old J.S. / M.S. ?

Hopefully this is being posted in the correct board :)

I came into a lot of knives recently and most of them I have figured out but these few I have not been able to narrow down. The one looks like the handle is meant to be of a Colt 45 design, it says Ivory on the blade but not sure that means the handle is ivory.

One has a name on one side but that could be who made it or who it was made for, sort of like what Randall knives does for their customers and on the other side it has a J.S. for journeymen smith. The piece is old so its possibly 30+ years old.

Any info anyone can give me would be awesome !

Thanks in advance!

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8494.JPG

IMG_8495.JPG

IMG_8496.JPG

IMG_8497.JPG

IMG_8498.JPG

IMG_8499.JPG

IMG_8501.JPG

And therein lies the difference between using your name and a mark!

Marks are cool till no one know who they are!! 

This could be R. Clark. http://rclarkknives.com/ 

A search only brought up one R. Clark, knife maker. The last name is more common!!

Can't find a GB Ivory as a maker!!!

The marks someone else may recognize them!! 

Edited by C Craft
  • Like 1

That is definitely an ABS journeyman stamp on the R. Clark, but the others are not familiar to me.  

Yeah the Ivory one I don't know if that is supposed to mean that the handle is ivory or not but it has a BWC or WBC or something too that might be the forge that made it.

The one that looks like Jr is very heavy, very well made for certain. Shows a lot of nice finish and craftsmanship in it and is a joy to hold but no idea who this person is, lol.

I presume that Clark was a member of www.americanbladesmith.com at one time at least to be considered that correct? Wonder if they would have a record of past members or past way members.

Yes, the ABS will have records of who got their JS and when.  And the number on the other one is meaningless if you don't know the reason for it.  That said, it looks like a serial number, but you don't know if it's one of a series or what.

@Alex Taylors I have posted your photos of the R. Clark blade on the ABS forum with a request for info.

Merry Christmas Alex. Here's what has come up so far from Craig Quattlebaum,

Pretty sure that is one of Roger Clarks knives, looks like his work. No idea if he is still around or making knives still. The Roger Clark I am referring too went Journeyman the same year I initially did (1992) and if I recall correctly was from texas. Steve Dunn may remember him too, Steve went journeyman the same time and Harvey Dean went Master Smith. There were 27 of us who passed journeyman that year and the Roger Clark I am talking about was in that group.

When asked about exact location of Roger: 

Not sure, been a good while back. He was from the Arkansas/Texas/Louisiana area and pretty sure Texas. I'll look through some of my old materials and see if I find something. I have an old page from a newsletter that has the names of the group and a picture and he is in it but no personal location info.