Gary Mulkey

Designing My Next Bowie

I've yet to file the pommel into a clam shell but it's starting to take shape:

IMG_2705_opt

IMG_2745_opt

I ended up taking some material out of the pommel to help the balance of the knife:

IMG_2729_opt

• Like 1

Man that's some pattern Gary. Holy crap its gorgeous!!!!!! That's going to be 1 beautiful Bowie!!!

• Thanks 1

I'm starting to believe @Gary Mulkey roughly shapes some steel & stuff then touches it with a magic wand.......has to be! :lol:

As always amazing watching the progression, thanks!

• Thanks 1

This one now has a clam shell pommel.  This ivory is telling me that it needs overlay escutcheons which will be my next project.

IMG_2832_opt

IMG_2850_opt

Very nice I like the way this one turned out.

• Thanks 1

I believe you are correct; it is asking for escutcheons.  A simple oval or something with a bit more flair, but not too much.  Just needs a pop of bright that won't compete with the blade.  Looking good!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I believe you are correct; it is asking for escutcheons.  A simple oval or something with a bit more flair, but not too much.  Just needs a pop of bright that won't compete with the blade.  Looking good!

Plus one on that, just a little sumthin extra will add to the pizazz factor, my .002......................;)

• Thanks 1

I'm curious to see how you would carve out the relief for escutcheons in the mamoth ivory.  Is it soft enough to chisel out the way you can with blackwood?

(I've never worked with it, but assume it is rather hard since it is usually referred to as "fossilized')

Edited by Brian Dougherty

11 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I'm curious to see how you would carve out the relief for escutcheons in the mamoth ivory.  Is it soft enough to chisel out the way you can with blackwood?

(I've never worked with it, but assume it is rather hard since it is usually referred to as "fossilized')

The ivory is soft enough to chisel into but this time I'm going to overlay the escutcheons.  (When I inlay my handles, I prefer to do that before attaching or shaping the scales.)

• Thanks 1