Jeremy Blohm

KITH 2019?

I think I'm in for the first time this year. I'd vote for Viking or a folder. A folder would be a challenge as I've never made one. But I'm up to try anything.

I might suggest changing "5" EDC" to just "EDC". Looks like folder will be a landslide win though. 

I'm super excited! 

last year I suggested a dao bao. It is a combination veggie peeler and kitchen knife so you can cut and peel things without switching tools. The 2 pieces are held on with screws so it can be taken apart and washed/sharpened

GKNl3kd.jpgYnLqHDa.jpg

It might also be fun to do a "tacticool" theme where we make something that looks crazy like mall-ninja stuff. It would be giving into the dark side, making the knives that the basement dwellers and cheap katana collectors want! :P

bbe.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've always wanted to make a butterfly knife/balisong.   It's a folder, and probably illegal in every other state.

Relatively simple to make, with much room allowed for creativity. 

Fun to play with.   Just an idea...

Edited by Bruno

Posted (edited)

Im on board for an EDC probably going to lose to the folder by a long shot. Might be in for a folder though, not sure yet.

Edited by Conner Michaux

Since the poll is leaning toward a folder, does someone have any pointers to a tutorial on making them? Something suitable for someone who has never made a folder before? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jheinen said:

pointers to a tutorial on making them? 

Just found this one a couple days ago while looking for something else.  Have not read through it completely, but seems good.

http://www.rayrogers.com/ftutorial.htm

Some good books on the subject too:

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Folding-Knives-Step-Step/dp/0873413903/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546561631&sr=8-2&keywords=making+folding+knives

Yipes the price on this one jumped !

https://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Multi-Blade-Folding-Knives/dp/0873414829

I believe I had to find that one from a different supplier for a much better price.  Amazon sure can be tricky sometimes.

Google is always a great goto, evil corporation that it is:

https://www.google.com/search?q=making+folding+knife+tutorial&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS763US763&oq=making+folding+knife+tutorial&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.6015j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Lots of vids out there...

Edited by Bruno

What part of "folder" does not fall into the "EDC" category?

What part of "Viking" is not compatible with "EDC"? (think Puukko)

What about "Camping/Hunting implement"?  That covers a lot of ground. :D

Personally, I'd suggest something along the lines of a knife with a 4 inch or less blade. Your choice of fixed or folder, any ethno-centric origin, single or double edged.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

That was my point in the brainstorming thread! 

EDC was not my verbage. I said "carry knife" meaning something small enough to be carried for typical light cutting tasks. This could fit any category including folder, viking, tactical, etc.

Edit: I meant this thread!

Edited by Zeb Camper

4 hours ago, jheinen said:

Since the poll is leaning toward a folder, does someone have any pointers to a tutorial on making them? Something suitable for someone who has never made a folder before? 

Steve Culver has a nice book with design tips and patterns to do a follow along with the example in the book.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:21 PM, jheinen said:

Geoff Keyes has a couple of good friction folder WIP threads I think. Then again, being that the due date is in September, there may be enough time to see someone make one and copy the method.;)

Edited by Joshua States
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Steve Culver has a nice book with design tips and patterns to do a follow along with the example in the book.

Just bought his book on Amazon. Thanks Brian

I also ordered the Culver book. I found a commercial liner lock I had lying around that I can take apart and use as a template. 

I think I'm going to order the Steve Culver book also. I have another book that has a short chapter about folders. I haven't read it in a while and at the time I just skimmed through it because I wasnt really interested in folders. Now im going to go back and read it. I cant remember the name of the book but I will find it when I get home and I will see if there is some good info and if there is I will update this with the name of the book. I think I'm going to make a couple test knives to see how they turn out.

This is also a good book for slip joints and lock backs.

Thanks Joshua, I just ordered that one.

I have all the above, and they are all good.  Funny thing is, every single author does it differently.  Almost all of them say you need a surface grinder and milling machine, neither of which I have or even have room for.  That said, I am determined to start making folders this year.  It's that same masochistic streak that forces me to make pattern-welded trowels, I guess...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Almost all of them say you need a surface grinder and milling machine,

I have both and the truth is, you "need" neither one.

The only thing I would use my mini mill for would be drilling the holes, and I know you can surface everything that needs surfacing on a granite slab. As long as you have a drill pres that drills true, and a surfacing slab, you can do this. 

For those of you who do not currently own a hunk of machinist granite, you can get by with a 12x12 Stone tile as long as it is filled, gauged, and honed.

Edited by Joshua States

One of my favorite "Tools" is a piece of scrap granite countertop.

(And I literally have several tons of tools)

Does anyone have a good video on making a friction folder? 

21 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

(And I literally have several tons of tools)

This is my lucky day. I just happen to have salvaged a portable granite countertop.

41 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I have several of these. They work wonderfully for surfacing handle scales, guards, spacers, frames, etc.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, jheinen said:

I think I'm in for the first time this year. I'd vote for Viking or a folder. A folder would be a challenge as I've never made one. But I'm up to try anything.

Make a Viking folder.

1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

I have several of these. They work wonderfully for surfacing handle scales, guards, spacers, frames, etc.

Make a Viking folder.

Is that a thing? I mean, historically?