KITH 2019?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

KITH is about community and connection.  We are too far flung to be able to get together in person, but we can send a bit of ourselves out and get a bit of someone else in return.  Don't worry about y

One thing I love about the KITH on this forum is that you can drop out without any hard feelings. I suggest you just start, and if you really think your blade isn't good enough you can choose to drop

Friction folder, higonokami

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I have both and the truth is, you "need" neither one.

The only thing I would use my mini mill for would be drilling the holes, and I know you can surface everything that needs surfacing on a granite slab. As long as you have a drill pres that drills true, and a surfacing slab, you can do this. 

For those of you who do not currently own a hunk of machinist granite, you can get by with a 12x12 Stone tile as long as it is filled, gauged, and honed.

I am well aware of that, and the Culver booklet does show how to do without.  I just don't want people to get discouraged and, for some reason, forgot to mention the above facts, so thanks! B) I have a decent drill press and a slab of granite countertop (hint: glue some 3/8" 70 durometer neoprene to the rough back and you have the perfect satin finishing plate too).  

The book I have that I thought had a chapter on folders is called simple knife making but I was wrong. There isn't a chapter on making folders but there is a bonus template in the back of the book and it gives dimensions and where to drill holes so it is basically fool proof.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/571514253/simple-knifemaking-a-beginners-guide-to (these copies are autographed) 

Resized_20190105_170327(1).jpeg

I have a really nice quartz counter top that broke when we are remodeling our kitchen and im going to get it cut up for surface plates....if anyone is interested I could have some cut into sizes that would fit in a flat rate shipping box.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I'm in for EDC or folder. I've got a working model for an EDC cleaver blade. Could be a folder as well if that's the topic chosen.

Conner,

I didn't do a WIP, I just posted a couple of ones that I did.  The biggest issue I find is keeping the area around the pivot hole flat.  If it tapers, either front to back or top to bottom, you get a camming action.  But a file is good enough, or as people have suggested, a piece of stone.  Or a piece of glass or a ceramic floor tile.  I did a higo (japanese style friction folder) recently.  With those I use a slab of folded copper for the handle. The tang on those is kicked up just a bit so that it rests on the back of the handle, as opposed to sitting on a stop pin.  

Geoff