Lauri

Few recent nordic knives

Hi. Here some recent works. Well almost everything I have made after summer. Also my new makers mark in little fulltang. It is very little :)

Happy new year to all.

20181211_170846.jpg

IMG_20181211_164402_127.jpg

20181211_204700.jpg

20181105_205215.jpg

20181114104615.JPG

20181114_124330.jpg

IMG_20181219_184744_779.jpg

20181221_212524.jpg

IMG_20180830_205504_802.jpg

IMG_20180821_212159_339.jpg

Edited by Lauri
  • Like 4

Love them all. Such clean lines. For some reason clean Nordic knives make me happy :).

Your leatherwork is immaculate, any chance of a tutorial on sheath making? Especially the stitching part, I struggle making the stitching even and straight when I'm working with wet leather. 

Excellent work Lauri. I second the leather work praise, although I think I like the wooden cups/bowls even more! Beautiful aesthetics. 

Adam, I don't stitch leather while it's wet. I clamp it and let it dry before sewing.

Thank you.

Yes I can take pictures next time. Well it is easy to say that "it is easy". 

I can make that tutorial next time.

Hard to explain but I do the stiching when leather is completly wet. After that will be cluing. After that I straighten the stiching against straight surface. Ofcource it shoud be pretty straight before that. And while drying I do it again and again while tooling the leather. I will cut that extra leather when it is almost or completly dry. I dont use clamps at all.

But thats just my way.  Joshuas way could work also. 

From what I can find the standard method is to stitch completely wet, so that's how I've done it. In fact I'm not sure half tan is "stitchable" dry... It would basically be like stitching rawhide dry. 

Next time I'll take pictures too, I struggle making the awl go through straight while keeping the leather tight against the knife. My last sheath turned out ok, but the stitching is the part I feel could look better. 

Here I found a picture that shows my stitching. Like I mentioned - it’s not bad, I just want it better <_<

3E410299-2B2E-467B-8289-79E6D5854614.jpeg

Edited by aweller
Added picture

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:35 PM, aweller said:

In fact I'm not sure half tan is "stitchable" dry.

My apologies Adam, I must have missed the half-tan part. I didn't realize we were talking about that. I've never worked half-tan so I don't have any relevant advice.

These knives are inspirational.
There is something to be said for the clean, simple lines and beautiful handle wood. 

As someone very new to the knife making world, it's easy to get distracted by the damascus patterns and elaborate designs. But this is what I want to achieve.
Also, good job on the photography :)

• Like 1

Hi

Didnt made a new topic because this is the same old.

Puukko. 80mm 80crv2 blade. Curly birch, reindeer horn and brass handle.

Ornament in the sheath is reindeers ear mark witch belongs puukkos new owner.

Thanks for watching :)

20190224_143425.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Adam

There is always mistakes and photo is always took the way that no one cant see mistakes :))

Your knives and sheaths have graceful lines and perfect craftsmanship.  Nordic knives, puukkot in particular, are the only knives I make.  The puukkoseppa of Finland  are some of the most talented craftsmen in the world.  Please continue posting your work.

• Like 1

Thank you. Very nice to hear. I am proud that our own tool is well known around the world. 

Second Kuksa cup is only about 1,3 dl. I dont remember it for sure. It is finished by paraffin oil. In finland you can drink it but Im not sure is it same in other countries or is there some mixed things with that oil.

20190302_103139.mp4

20190302_220532.jpg

• Like 2

And there was a newest one. 75mm blade and 105 handle. Curlybirch, reindeer horn, brass and 80crv2. It took long to download that video...hope you can see it.

Nice one! The video worked, although my connection required several minutes to watch it!