Alex Middleton

2019 KITH Topic Poll

Poll for the 2019 KITH Theme  

26 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. I think this covers the highlights. Poll is set to close on 2/1.

• Folder, makers choice of style
    • EDC
    • Small dagger
    • Arrowhead
    • Camp axe
    • "Tacticool" knife or hawk

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2019 at 11:00 AM

Time to post the poll for this years KITH.  Hopefully I got this right. :D

• Like 1

Not even sure what this is all about really lol.

In a nutshell, its a knife swap.  Everyone makes a knife to the agreed upon theme, names are drawn from a "hat", and the knives are sent to their new owners.

32 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

In a nutshell, its a knife swap.  Everyone makes a knife to the agreed upon theme, names are drawn from a "hat", and the knives are sent to their new owners.

Ahh lol well that counts me out not skilled enough yet lol.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Ahh lol well that counts me out not skilled enough yet lol.

Thats what I said, lol But I think I will try it out if the EDC theme wins should be a fun challenge. :D

Edited by Conner Michaux

I'm going to have to think long and hard about this one before I submit my vote.:huh:

Posted (edited)

Probably cant sway a vote but Its worth a try.. :lol: If you choose A folder than the people that don't have the slightest idea of how to make a folder (Me) Might not participate, BUT if you choose EDC, really anyone can participate because you can do a folder, a fixed, a viking..Well you get my point.. :P  

Just a thought lol :D

Edited by Conner Michaux
  • Like 2

Part of the fun of the KITH, is the WIP posts that go along with each blade.  Which gives newer people a place to put their questions on how they should proceed with each step on for others working on a " similar " project to comment and advise on. 

Ive done two of them, and both times I learned a LOT about each type of blade that was chosen ( Bowie knife and Kitchen knife ) and while both were my first attempts at those types of knives I learned a lot of what to and what not to do by reading other peoples posts and having them comment on mine as well. 

Also getting another makers knife in the mail is awesome, The kitchen knife I got quickly became my go to kitchen knife, and has kind of impacted how I go about doing kitchen knives as I try to match its quality. 

When I suggested folder I left the idea as open as possible.  A basic friction folder is pretty simple to do, but can push you as well.  You could go as simple or as complex as your skills will take you.  I did a copper handle higo a while back.  3 pieces, a blade, the copper taco handle, and a pin.

Geoff

• Like 1

I voted for EDC but im down for a folder when it wins.

I agree with Robert.  I really enjoyed last KITH. It pushed me to take on a project that I normally wouldn't even have considered.  The results weren't world class, but I learned a ton and opened up myself to techniques that I never would have considered using before.

Also, receiving a knife that had a detailed WIP thread was really cool.  The knife itself was awesome, but knowing step by step how it came in to existence is an experience that you just don't get when you acquire a knife any other way.

Wow 50/50. I'm gonna have to think about this. I will be in no matter what.

Posted (edited)

My .02 would be a vote for EDC. It's a good thing to stretch capabilities but a folder might be too intimidating for some and I see some needing to go for a friction folder to keep it close to their capabilities but just a simple one might be a stretch. For someone used to making folders the way to stretch is getting real fancy so there would be a big disparity . With the EDC and say keeping blade length below 3 1/2", to meet most laws about concealed carry, you actually free up the imagination for those intimidated by a folder. The average person could, for example, go to a karambit or maybe a Wharncliff style blade. Maybe their first Scandinavian grind etc. They could stretch into something fancier than normal. Make one of the rules "you have to do one thing in design or construction that you have never done before. The recipient can then say "this was the first XXX type that so-and-so ever made"? Sometimes a "simple" challenge brings more creativity.

And that is my typical long-winded thought.

Edited by Vern Wimmer
Fat fingers
  • Like 3

I voted folder before reading the comments, but think there is some wisdom in calling the theme "~3" EDC" so that people put off by a folder can still play.

The spirit of KITH always seems to be to do something to push your personal envelope, and to make a knife.  Receiving one is not a big part of it from my perspective, so don't be put off if you don't feel you measure up. 

Making the best attempt you can, and doing it as a WIP so everyone can see your technique (good and bad) is a great way to learn.

Posted (edited)

Wouldn't a folder count as an edc?  Does for me.  unless edc is restricted to fixed blades in this case.  Not voted yet, but think folders are more specific than an EDC.  where edc can be a machete for some  or kiridashi for others.  I see many bowies around here.  Stoopid state laws eveywhere else anyways :ph34r:

Edc should be better defined for this poll.   oh, and they make 12 inch long butterfly knives :P

so maybe upper spec on folders and edc is best defined for the benefit of hopeful participants.

Edited by Bruno

I think EDC should be counted as the regular carry knife from where ever you live, wether that be Kiridashi, bowies, machete's, Folders and what not.

Just an idea for the EDC theme.

20 minutes ago, Bruno said:

Wouldn't a folder count as an edc?  Does for me.  

so maybe upper spec on folders and edc is best defined for the benefit of hopeful participants.

Yeah, that is what I meant, but didn't say very clearly.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Yeah, that is what I meant...

Yep, just agreeing with you :)  Are specs up for discussion, or is a vote needed?  Is there a ''KITH Master'' to have final say on the matter?  I'm down for the KiTH whatever is decided.   Some specs would help reign in the imagination, somewhat, unless double edged 1' Butterfly's seems cool to anyone else, lol...

Edited by Bruno

1 hour ago, Conner Michaux said:

I think EDC should be counted as the regular carry knife from where ever you live, wether that be Kiridashi, bowies, machete's, Folders and what not.

That's a good idea.  Sort of a Locality based EDC...

That would kind of be difficult for all of us the the states though, because people cary literally anything that has an edge. 

My EDC is a Swiss Army Knife, and I don't see me making one of those anytime real soon...  :lol:

I'd vote EDC with up to 2.5" single-edged blade.  Can fold, can be fixed.  Anything from a kiridashi to a straight razor.

16 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

I'd vote EDC with up to 2.5" single-edged blade.  Can fold, can be fixed.  Anything from a kiridashi to a straight razor.

Agreed. 

6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

I'd vote EDC with up to 2.5" single-edged blade

Is that the cutting edge length, or from guard/bolster to tip?

2.5" (6,35 cm) is kind of small, and I've found the smaller ones are trickier than the larger ones. 3.5" (8,89 cm) max from guard/bolster to tip is more accessible IMNSHO.

I was thinking cutting edge, and also of some of the more draconian laws regarding folding knives in places like NYC and the UK where anything big or odd will get you in trouble.  Friction folders are considered switchblades in NYC, for example, since they can be opened with one hand.  Large or locking folders are classed as "offensive weapons" in the UK, even if they're perfectly inoffensive to anyone.

That is not the point, though, sorry to digress.  I agree, tiny is hard.  I like your guidelines better.  Keep 'em coming, folks!

I live New York and have been arrested for a Milwaukee flip open razor blade knife. You know the 1 they sell at every Home depot in the US. They said it was considered a "Gravity Knife" and they charged me with a "E Felony" I had to get bailed out the next morning for $1000. Then I went to court showed the judge my union book that said it was 1 of my tools needed for work and judge said "are you kidding me they locked you up for that" and dismissed the "E Felony". So any pocket knife that you can flip open with 1 hand illegal New York. Craziness!!!