Alex Middleton

2019 KITH Topic Poll

Poll for the 2019 KITH Theme  

26 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. I think this covers the highlights. Poll is set to close on 2/1.

• Folder, makers choice of style
    • EDC
    • Small dagger
    • Arrowhead
    • Camp axe
    • "Tacticool" knife or hawk

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2019 at 11:00 AM

13 minutes ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

I live New York and have been arrested for a Milwaukee flip open razor blade knife. You know the 1 they sell at every Home depot in the US. They said it was considered a "Gravity Knife" and they charged me with a "E Felony" I had to get bailed out the next morning for $1000. Then I went to court showed the judge my union book that said it was 1 of my tools needed for work and judge said "are you kidding me they locked you up for that" and dismissed the "E Felony". So any pocket knife that you can flip open with 1 hand illegal New York. Craziness!!!

Another reason why I left.

15 hours ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

I live New York and have been arrested for a Milwaukee flip open razor blade knife. You know the 1 they sell at every Home depot in the US. They said it was considered a "Gravity Knife" and they charged me with a "E Felony" I had to get bailed out the next morning for $1000. Then I went to court showed the judge my union book that said it was 1 of my tools needed for work and judge said "are you kidding me they locked you up for that" and dismissed the "E Felony". So any pocket knife that you can flip open with 1 hand illegal New York. Craziness!

Thats absurd.... Now I know never to bring a flipper into NY.:P

9 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

Thats absurd.... Now I know never to bring a flipper into NY.:P

Yeah tell me about it

We should have had the 150mm challenge as a choice in the poll.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

We should have had the 150mm challenge as a choice in the poll.

Whaaa?

I guess you start with 3/4 x 3/4 square x 6 inches long and make what ever you want.

• Like 2

Does your KITH knife have to be forged? Or can you forge the blade and stock remove the rest? 

It would be quite hard to forge the tang on a folder because of all the little nooks where the knife rests on the pins when its opened. 

Get what im saying? 

Doing stock removal around the tang is totally fine. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Doing stock removal around the tang is totally fine. 

Thats great! 

1 hour ago, Conner Michaux said:

It would be quite hard to forge the tang on a folder because of all the little nooks where the knife rests on the pins when its opened. 

Most folders are done almost completely stock removal for precisely this reason. If you are going to attempt a folding knife (slip joint or lock back) for the KITH, I would suggest you purchase a piece of precision ground flat stock (3/32 or 5/32) and work completely stock removal. It will increase your chances of success dramatically.

Posted (edited)

im going to do a friction folder.

3 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

I would suggest you purchase a piece of precision ground flat stock (3/32 or 5/32)

Is that just really flat steel? 

Where should I get it?

Edited by Conner Michaux

Almost any knife making supplier sells it. You will probably have to use O-1 for a HC steel or a stainless steel. You could also use 15N20 if you can find it in pieces thick enough.

Check Jantz, Texas Knife, and K&G supplies. They all sell precision ground flat stock.

12 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

Is that just really flat steel? 

Pretty much. Do you have a way to clamp the blade & spring between two aluminum or copper plates after quenching?

3 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Pretty much. Do you have a way to clamp the blade & spring between two aluminum or copper plates after quenching?

I have a vice, If thats what you mean. 

33 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

I have a vice, If thats what you mean. 

A vice will work fine, if you can fit two plates or bars in the jaws.

Posted (edited)

Since it looks like a folder is going to win. I plan on making a Japanese Higonokami. I have never made 1 and since this is "bladesmithsforum" I want to make some that I can forge. This kind of pocket knife is almost all forged construction. Here is a link to 1 being made Here. I always wanted to make 1.

Edited by JASON VOLKERT

@JASON VOLKERT yep. That's what is generically referred to as a friction folder these days.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:07 PM, JASON VOLKERT said:

I live New York and have been arrested for a Milwaukee flip open razor blade knife. You know the 1 they sell at every Home depot in the US. They said it was considered a "Gravity Knife" and they charged me with a "E Felony" I had to get bailed out the next morning for $1000. Then I went to court showed the judge my union book that said it was 1 of my tools needed for work and judge said "are you kidding me they locked you up for that" and dismissed the "E Felony". So any pocket knife that you can flip open with 1 hand illegal New York. Craziness!!!

Seriously?  I’m glad I live in Washington here if I wanted to I can carry a Bowie knife of course on my belt it would have to be in a sheeth of course but the knife laws here are not as strict.  

I'm still supporting this idea:

something along the lines of a knife with a 3 inch or less blade. Your choice of fixed or folder, any ethno-centric origin, single or double edged.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I'm still supporting this idea:

something along the lines of a knife with a 3 inch or less blade. Your choice of fixed or folder, any ethno-centric origin, single or double edged.

I agree, and it seems most others do as well.  The poll is really just a guideline, so I'm all for calling official along the lines of what Joshua said.

Might get more people involved if the target is an EDC with just blade size being the requirement, Then those that want to do a fixed little blade can, and those that want to do a folder can. 

Personally I want to do a folder, but thats because I want to give them a whirl and see where I can go with them. But I totally understand others feeling questionable about attempting it. One of the best things in my opinion of the KITH, is getting to follow along the WIPS everyone posts. 

I'd be all for that as well.  I'm going to try a folder too, but it would be nice to have something to fall back on and still participate with if time/skill level/patience don't allow me to complete it.

Yeah, and @Bruno can make his stiletto switch blade thing too!

Let's call it done then. 

"Any knife in the spirit of EDC with a blade 3" or less.  Fixed blade or folding knife are all fine."

I say lets do that, The idea of a Folder has devoured me...Im very excited! 

I would also like to start KITH now but its not up to me.

Can I buy the materials I need before it starts? 

Yeah....start getting what you need. Its always good to be ahead of the game. The deadline creeps up quick.