Now that's thin! Fitting the brass must have been hard. In fact I don't think my slimmest file is actually that thin. 

Nice finitiob and comfy looking handle!

Edited by Joël Mercier
1 hour ago, Joël Mercier said:

Nice finitiob and comfy looking handle!

Complimented on my finitiob by the master!  I'm honored! :D

The tang slot wasn't as hard as you'd think.  I filed it out as skinny as my needle files would let me, put the tang through, and then beat the ever living s#@t out of it with a hammer until the slot closed up and fit itself to the tang.  It works good, just be prepared to flatten the brass back out afterwards because it deforms a lot.

There are some restrictions on African Blackwood so you might have to look around.  You might try North Carolina Hardwoods.  No promises but that's the last place I found it.  You could also do a general search for turning woods and check out what the suppliers have to offer.

Doug

I got lucky and found a 2"x2"x12" block at Woodcraft early last year.  I glance at it whenever I go in there because i really like using it.  Sometimes they have it, sometimes they don't.

13 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

I filed it out as skinny as my needle files would let me, put the tang through, and then beat the ever living s#@t out of it with a hammer until the slot closed up and fit itself to the tang.  

I did something similiar to close a gap on a fitting I made several months ago. Worked like a charm and gave it a nice hammered finish but it never ocurred to me to file/sand it flat again. Thanks for sharing the idea.