nprovos

Rebuilding a Side Blast Forge

At the shop, we have been using a side blast forge for general blacksmithing. It's a great tool as clinker can be removed quickly without great interruptions to the fire. The side blast forge relies on a water cooled tuyere. After more than ten years of great service, the air pipe finally rusted through. I have attached some photos of the surgery and reconstruction.

Forge area with tank removed:

IMG_20181229_114825.jpg

Tank cut open with plasma cutter - at that point it was clear already that the tank needed to be rebuild as well:

IMG_20181229_114814.jpg

Removing the air pipe with a die grinder:

IMG_20181231_112341.jpg

Fitting the new pipe:

IMG_20181231_121650.jpg

Rebuilding the tank from 3/16" steel plate:

IMG_20190101_140046.jpg

IMG_20190101_140545.jpg

IMG_20190101_144317.jpg

IMG_20190101_165613.jpg

Finally leak testing the rebuild tank:

IMG_20190101_165932.jpg

It still needs to be installed and tested but this is how far I got during my holiday break.

Happy hammering.

Niels.

• Like 2

Interesting!! 

Looks good!  And illustrates why I never built one, getting it watertight with my pitiful stick welding skills would be an impossibility.  :lol:

Is a side blast forge better than a bottom blast?  I'm just curious.  I haven't seen too many youtube videos out there from anybody in the US that's using side blast forges most the guys I see using them are in Europe or in the UK.  I've always wondered like I said if they actually work better.

4 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Looks good!  And illustrates why I never built one, getting it watertight with my pitiful stick welding skills would be an impossibility.  :lol:

Just put it outside for a week and let it rust up, the rust will seal the holes.  And no, I'm not joking :-)

• Like 1

Looking great already!

If my shop had the space I would go for a side blast forge, it would be so nice to build a big reducing fire sometimes.

Here is the latest progress:

Installed pivot for the air lever.

IMG_20190105_150345.jpg

Plasma cutting and extremely poor sheet metal welding to repair the back. I replaced it with 16 gauge instead of 17 which might make it last a little longer:

IMG_20190105_171641.jpg

Finally installed the tank and the tuyere:

IMG_20190105_173303.jpg

Almost looks like new :-)

• Like 1