Jeremy Blohm

30 hp phase converter build

I have several pieces of equipment that is 3 phase one of them is a 10 hp rotary screw compressor which will require quite a large converter. I also have a 6x48 Kalamazoo belt sander that has a 3 hp 3 phase motor and the hydraulic pump I have for the press im going to build is 3 phase. So I need a lot of 3 phase power and I dont plan to get the power company to run it to my shop.

I just won this 30 hp motor that I plan on using for the rotary portion and all I have to get is the panel in the next week or 2. You wont believ what I won this motor for. The only concern I have is that it is rated for 480 only. I did some research and most of the balador 30 hp motors and what I seen was mostly 230/480 so I have my fingers crossed. If not it looks like i have a 500 lb chunk of iron i cant use.

https://bid.orbitbid.com/lots/1467619#aWQ9MTQ2NzYxOSZsaW1pdD0zMCZvZmZzZXQ9MCZwYWdlPTEmcHJldltwYWdlXT13bCZwcmV2W3dpZF09MSZzdGF0dXM9dXBjb21pbmcmdHlwZT13YXRjaGluZw..

4bd03b21d818e587380d989c277118e3.jpeg

Wow that's some serious horse power

• Haha 1

I cant wait to have this thing built and try out this air compressor and get this belt sander running at full power. Right now it's running off of a static phase converter and it only runs a 2/3 its rated horsepower. 

Baldor does make motors that are only 460v. Give me the catalog number and I will look it up.

I dont have any info on the motor yet. I am going to pick it up tomorrow or Friday. They didn't take any photos of the info tag. I will know more in a day or two.

well, that was about $0.10/lb or probably something like $0.0005/$ of the original price.  Hopefully you can make it work for a converter.

I've been on the hunt for the right motor for quite sometime. If i cant make it work then I can always try to sell it or scrap it and get my money back. But I have many food processing plants around me and I have worked at 2 of them. I could try to sell it to one of them for $100 and make a dollar off of it. I was maintenance at the 2 places I worked at. And my cousin is maintenance manager at one of them so I have some inside sources that maybe I can make a trade for a motor I can use.

I took a gamble buying this motor and it paid off!!! This thing is brand new. It said in the description that it appears to be rebuilt but there has never been anything on the shaft of this thing. Ther is a couple dings on it but other than that it looks new.Resized_20190110_151259.jpegResized_20190110_151359(1).jpegResized_20190110_151329.jpegResized_20190110_151339.jpeg

Looks good and 230/460. You're good to go. :)