Sign in to follow this  
Ross Vosloo

The bush sword (not really)

So I've taken to calling it the bush sword but it's really just a knife, albeit the biggest knife I've made to date

Steel is 5160, handle is muwanga with recycled plastic liners.

The customer in this one was very specific, something he could use to take down a tree whilst on his way to recover a buffalo in heavy bush. To that end it has a very heavy convex edge but very sharp. He was also very insistent on not taking it past 100 grit and no hand sanding! I had to have a friendly fight with him to let me patina the blade! Hes really into rough and ready. Oh well 

20190108_165647.jpg20190108_165714.jpg20190108_165751.jpg20190108_165630.jpg

• Like 1

I hope he wasn't too upset with the decorative file work.  Great job.

Doug

4 minutes ago, Doug Lester said:

I hope he wasn't too upset with the decorative file work.  Great job.

Doug

haha, strangely enough he saw one of my other knives with file work part way through the build and asked for something similar. i said no worries

I like this one Ross........could probably kill the buffalo as well!

1 minute ago, Gerhard said:

I like this one Ross........could probably kill the buffalo as well!

certainly knock him out! i wanted to go hidden tang on this, but you know, customer... well, glad he is the one who is going to have to carry its weight whilst tracking that buff!

Despite having evangelical feelings about hidden tangs, for that application I'd take that extra weight.

13 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

Despite having evangelical feelings about hidden tangs, for that application I'd take that extra weight.

i guess, but my first hidden tang bowie has proven over and over again just how durable hidden tang is. whilst on a fishing trip last week, my friend needed to blow of some steam after hitting a rock with his outboard.... i gave him complete freedom to try to break it and all he managed was to break the rear of the handle, after basically cutting through a fallen hardwood tree. i have no doubts in my mind at all that hidden tang is just as strong as any full tang design. 

B) If that knife had a hidden tang it would still be a 120x10x6mm (about) piece of spring steel.......even drilled full of holes that's not something that just flops.....

But, maybe you touched on something there - the handle on a full tang adhere's to the KISS-principle and is probably stronger......

That said, if your handle was micarta instead of wood there's be no damage :ph34r:

:lol: