Sign in to follow this  
Joshua States

Decisions, decisions Hmmm

So, this got me thinking I should make some more slip joint folders, because it's been a few years and I already have the templates in a Gatorade can in the shop. They are really 3 different blade types in two different sizes, with 3 different handle shapes. Some of the blades are interchangeable with some of the handle shapes. Basically, there's a Warncliff, a clipped point, and a dropped point blade.

Templates V2.jpg

Look in the lower right corner and you will see I also found two Damascus blades and one Damascus spring left over from a project that never got made. 

Damascus Pieces parts V2.jpg

I also have this little straight blade with a tight W-pattern that could make a nice EDC. I'd do one of my 3-finger frame handles.

EDC  (1) V2.jpg

EDC  (2) V2.jpg

Then again, there's always the O-1 option. Those cut like mad.

• Like 2

For KITH? You should finish the Damascus folder. That’s just my opinion though.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

For KITH? You should finish the Damascus folder. That’s just my opinion though.

Well, that's one vote. Anyone else?

Here’s an idea use both blades on the same one.  Multi blade folder.

That slip joint seems neat! Plus I decided to make one instead of a Japanese style friction. My goal will be to try and do something similar to yours in mono steel. 

If it causes you to lean one way or the other, I will most likely be doing a slip-joint for my entry.

• Like 1

I'd say slip joint but then I saw that little straight blade. I really like that little straight blade

I spent this weekend at a gun and knife show and was lucky to bump into some of the top notch blacksmiths in my area. We talked about my upcoming project for KITH and I am more excited than ever to be doing it this time around! I'm sticking with the friction folder and I cant wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

Joshua, I don't know if this will help or only muddy the waters but I really like that little  W pattern fixed blade. When I make fixed blades of that size I usually make a pouch type sheath for inside the front pocket carry with a spring clip made onto the sheath. I love having the strength of a fixed blade in a pocket sized package. I'm sure whatever you decide on will be awesome and I look forward to seeing where this project takes everyone!

Seems I am not the only one with projects floating around I have not finished that now could work for the KITH... 

I am going to stick to friction folder for my Kith, but that fixed blade would be a sweet EDC, Now you have me contemplating grinding my blade out of one of the billets I have floating about the shop instead of W2... 

Contestant #1

Take a small piece of burl wood.

IMG_20190511_090729108.jpg

Fit it to the tang

IMG_20190511_095352290.jpg

And profile

IMG_20190511_105959502.jpg

• Like 2

I did finish this little one. The pics are in Show & Tell.

@Joshua States at this rate you are going to have a KITH to decide on a knife for the KITH ;)

• Haha 1

A few progress shots on contestant #2.

After checking the action.

Action Check 1.jpg

After soldering the bolsters to the liners.

Bolsters 1.jpg

Checking the closed blade clearance on the liners.

Clearance Check 1.jpg

Relaxing the spring for a day or two.

Spring Relief 1.jpg

Nice Joshua.  Your experience shows as this is  more refined than my build. (Part quality is better)

Is the dark "Liner" in the last pic just for assembly/testing the blade and spring?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Is the dark "Liner" in the last pic just for assembly/testing the blade and spring?

That's one of my templates. With a little luck, and some careful shaping, the template holes all work with the parts I'm working on. It doesn't always work out that way, but this time it did.

9 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Your experience shows as this is  more refined than my build. (Part quality is better)

Thanks, but I'm not sure that's true. Your build came out great. This is also the first time I tried soldering the bolsters on. I usually spot weld them and have a ton of cleanup. Your WIP got me to try the soldering, for which I am extremely grateful.

No, your parts are definitely nicer.  I know where all the goofs are on mine and not yours which probably sway each of us in the other direction, but there is no doubt that you know how to grind a blade, and I am still figuring that out :)

I'm glad the WIP helped a bit.  I owe this community a lot as it has been my sole source of learning this craft. 

11 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

there is no doubt that you know how to grind a blade, and I am still figuring that out :)

Well, I have ground a bunch of them in the last, never mind how long, so I had better have figured it out by now. I made a 2-part video of my process. It's on my boobtube channel. Folder blades are very difficult to deal with because they are so small. Most folder guys will make two at a time so they can use one piece of flat stock and lay out the blades with the tang ends in the center of the bar and the points at the ends of the bar. If you do it this way, you can hold the bar easier when grinding. They take them all the way to 400 or 600 grit before HT and then separate, finish off the tangs and go to HT with anti-scale or foil wrap. For this project, I made a little holding clamp for grinding.

Folder blade holder (3).jpg

Folder Blade Hoder 4.JPG

I think I'll keep this around.

• Thanks 1

I'd vote for the short straight blade....they make excellent EDC....

4 hours ago, JeffM said:

I'd vote for the short straight blade....they make excellent EDC....

Unfortunately, my boss disagrees with you. Something to do with having stuff to sell in the art show this November...…..

And contestant number 2 is getting into shape.

Pixlr_20190623153118265.jpg

Pixlr_20190623153325176.jpg

• Like 1

Slip joint folders are evil little things.

46 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Slip joint folders are evil little things.

Bite you, did it?  

Joshua, they are all excellent, my 2 cents is the fixed blade for an EDC. Just easier to use everyday in my opinion.

Gary LT