Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

Ryobi 9 inch bench top bandsaw

So I couldn't really sleep this morning I got up too danged early happens oh well.  Anyhow I wound up buying myself a new toy rather tool.  I'm not sure what I think of it as of yet I haven't even unboxed it yet.  I ran over to home depot this morning and picked up their last one they had on the shelves.  So I was lucky.  Nope it's not the harbor freight one thank god.  I'm not sure how well it will work but at least now I wont have to use a hand saw hacking up handle material and what not.  Have any of you guys used this particular bandsaw before?  I'm hoping that it is plug and play.  It had a low price tag but I'm glad it did.

IMG_20190112_071723106.jpg

biggest thing with bandsaws is blades and knowing the size of blade so you can order them i have a shopsmith and i almost have to have them made if i want more than what shop smith sells which if i recall is like 4 or 5 options

Yea this is my second bandsaw, I have the Wen 5 inch which has a 56.5 inch long blade I had to order a new one for it already.   How ever I'm not sure what the size of the blade for this one is going to be so when I open up the box and pull out the machine I'll find out lol.  But I'd assume it may be the same size or a bit bigger.  I also specifically got this one for cutting up wood.  Namely working on handle material and things like that.  So now if I wanted to use a piece of 2x4 for a handle I could.  Not that I would but technically I could if I wanted lol.  But I wont.

Edited by AndrewB

Okay yea I love plug and play machines.  This band saw was SUPER SUPER easy to set up.  I basically pulled it out of the box.  I grabbed the table and installed it, it basically sits in groves so you can tilt the table to a certain angle to get a degree of cut.  I then basically bolted the table to the machine.  Stupidly simple to set up.  So I haven't fired this up as of yet as you can tell it's still sitting in my house.  How ever I plan on trying it out on the cocabola scales later on today.  So worth the money?  I think that would be a big yes.  This Ryobi 9 inch bandsaw is basically a plug and play yes I does come with a blade installed in it.    It took me a second to figure out how to tighten the blade to the drive wheels but I mean the machine was so self explanatory even I figured it out.  So if you are on a tight money wise budget on tools this one will be your best bet.  I paid 126 for it at Home depot.  Man I love plug and play machines.

IMG_20190112_085617242.jpg

I could never setup my 9" Ryobi to properly cut my very hard wood. A combination of too much speed and not enough torque I believe. I tried a bunch of different blades and none worked. 

I hope you get better luck! 

Here's what I came up with to solve my problem. It's a portaband saw designed to cut steel with variable speeds. I use a 10tpi rake teeth blade for wood and it does wonders. 

IMG_20190109_120542.jpg

• Like 1

The blade it has is pretty small.  It is a cheaper end bandsaw too.    But it cut okayfor me.  I guess I’ll find out if it will cut the cocabola scales okay tomorrow.

Yeah, these bandsaw don't like cutting blocks of dense wood. I go to my grandfathers house to cut wood because he has a lot of woodworking equipment and I don't have any room left in my shop for tools. He has a large powermatic wood bandsaw that I use for resawing down larger burls and logs but also use it for cutting blocks into scales.

My grandfather mostly just turns pens and he bought a skil bandsaw about that size for his pen blanks. It sometimes even struggles with those. 

I'd think it could cut scales closer to shape but I'd imagine it might struggle on full size blocks of exotic woods. 

Those portabands are nice as well as the cheaper small horizontal bandsaws for metal that have the small table you can attach and turn it vertical. 

Edited by Cody Killgore

1 minute ago, Cody Killgore said:

Yeah, these bandsaw don't like cutting blocks of dense wood. I go to my grandfathers house to cut wood because he has a lot of woodworking equipment and I don't have any room left in my shop for tools. He has a large powermatic wood bandsaw that I use for resawing down larger burls and logs but also use it for cutting blocks into scales.

My grandfather mostly just turns pens and he bought a skil bandsaw about that size for his pen blanks. It sometimes even struggles with those. 

I'd think it could cut scales closer to shape but I'd imagine it might struggle on full size blocks of exotic woods. 

I’ve got a robusk jigsaw as well if the bandsaw won’t make the cuts.