So Chris Briggs and I have access to some of this super steel S30V. Has anyone forged this? 

Someone like JPH probably has but it doesn't mean it's a good idea unless you have his experience. It's one of those steels are are faster and cheaper to grind than forge. 

Also, if you have the chance, buy s35vn instead. It's easier to polish and less prone to chipping.

• Like 2

Chris just has access to drop/scraps so there is little to no cost in the material so we figured we could play around with it. I assume working it will be like hammering on D2.

Jeremy,

Everyone has opinions but I've had some extensive exposure to S30V.  I was one of the first two makers in the country to receive any of it when it first came out.  (That was back in my stock removal days.)  To give it a fair trial, I used nothing else for a full year.  About 60 days into using it I called up the Crucible Steel New York office to speak with Ed Severson who invented it as I wasn't happy with the H/T.  After about an hour on the phone he explained how I could improve the process.  It has a very tricky H/T schedule to get the most out of it.  Still, after using nothing else for approximately 200 blades, I quit using it and went to other steels.  That should tell you something.

Also, air quench stainless steels like S30V do not forge well.  Let me save you some time & heartache and suggest that you use something else.    If you trust my experience with it,  you'll find another choice for your forged blades.  If you desire something more than 10xx series steels and are good at H/T'ing as well as  having an accurate oven then try some W1 or W2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is definitely good info...

Thank you I will steer clear of it. The heat treat pushes me away from it. I still have a bar of D2 I haven't used because of all the same issues.