Sign in to follow this  
Zeb Camper

...And so it begins!

Just thinking out loud for now. Ideas are welcomed! 

I've been scratching my head over this one. I imagine it will be like last year (over thinking and jumping from one. over complicated idea to the next). It's such a small canvas. Intimidating is what it is... So much that could be done, and so much that cannot! 

So I've got a few ideas.

One being to devote this project to my hearth steel experiments. 

Two would be gathering up every scrap piece of pattern weld in the shop and welding it all together to a high layer count(or low, if it looks cool). 

Three would be a more classic P-weld with a good usable cutting edge like 80crv2, w2, etc in a san mai or multibar construct. 

I'm not sure about what type of blade to make yet. Fixed or folding... 

My honest opinion, that sounds pretty sweet.  Are you mixing up different patterns to combine to one?  If so I'd say go for the fixed blade, that way it shows all of the different patters in the blade itself.  Where as if it were a folder you wouldn't really see that much.  I'm interested to see what you come out with.

• Like 1

This year's KITH is actually the perfect opportunity for a scrapmascus project.  The "canvas" as you put it, is so small, that almost any chunk of leftover PW steel would become ample steel for a small folder or straight blade.

• Like 1

Thanks for weighing in guys! 

Yeah, it won't take much steel at all. I'm thinking of how to put my stank on it. 

I think a small straight blade just a bit bigger than the tip of your thumb would be insanely handy if in a tight fitting leather sheath carried horizontally. Right there next to the belt buckle cross draw of course. I could make it ambidextrous... That small of a size is legal to conceal too. 

I had a similar realization as I was in the shop the other day, moving all my left over damascus and san mai cut offs to their designated storage spot on my shelves. 

• Like 1

Here's rougly what I'm thinking. 

Kind of a mix of an old motif on a design that would be handy today. Sort of a chubby pukko meets lil' sax. Meant to be worn horizontally. Deeply etched blade, antler bolster, curly maple handle dyed with rust for a gray/brown color, black leather sheath with tooling and brass fittings I think. That or copper. 

I might do some carving depending on if the peice wants to be carved in the 3rd dimension. 

20190116_225245.jpg20190117_204820.jpg

• Like 6

Is this for KITH? Or just for the next project? That design looks amazing...simple but so nice looking..

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

And Conner, it is for KITH. I gotta at least patch my welding forge before I can start though. Might be next weekend's adventure. P'raps I'll make a big long multibar bar and cut this blade off of it. Make a seax at the same time.

• Like 1

I'm really digging the drawing. I already want to carve with that blade. Makes me think of a Mora wood carver, one of my favorite users, except more robust and with a much nicer suit of clothes!

• Thanks 1

That's remarkably similar to one of my ideas.  Guess I'll have to go with the folding seax now.:lol:

• Like 2

Great minds think alike!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

That's remarkably similar to one of my ideas.  Guess I'll have to go with the folding seax now.:lol:

Do whatever you want! I'd be interested to see your take on it. It wouldnt bother me in the least! 

Must be in the air, I'm not in the KITH at this point, but I have been working on a knife that is almost identical in blade/handle shape and size. I was thinking to post some WIP pictures next week when I have some time off. When you see it you will see the resemblance. 

That being said, it goes without saying that I love the design :D

• Like 1

Its kind of a natural design I think!

I got my forge patched up just now. Just need that satanite to set up and fire it lightly every few hours tomorrow and might be able to run it Sunday I hope. Or am I pushing my luck? Supposed to be below freezing this weekend. I been meaning to rig up a new coal forge for times like these, and when im out of gas (shoot I actually am!), for big nasty flux filled welding projects, or when I feel like a mountain man. Might be tomorrow's project. 

I actually have a lid for a box that this thing can go in! I started carving a random piece of maple the other day. About the right size for a box lid! If I keep "think-typing" its hard to tell what else I might come up with!

Just be sure to get the Satanite cured before the freeze hits.  It could get ugly, otherwise.

Well I've gone and messed up my runes! Oh well, there were illiterates back then too! 

Enough of boxcarving for today i think. Gotta go fire that forge! 

20190119_103753.jpg

• Like 2

Wow that's some craving!!

• Like 1

I guess you have to really crave carving to do it !!.............................:P:D

• Like 1

Thanks guys! 

If I'm to be making cool steel, I need cool accent work as well anyway. I told myself this year I would buckle down on leather and woodwork especially (as well as everything else :lol:). 

• Like 2

Not terrible I dont think! Now for the sides and stuff to put in it! 

20190119_184229.jpg

• Like 1

You are out of control.

• Like 1

Holy crapola the wood carving.....  you must practice on wood before you transfer to steel I’m assuming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Holy crapola the wood carving.....  you must practice on wood before you transfer to steel I’m assuming.

That was the idea to start, but I then realized it'd make a nice box lid for the KITH knife to go in. The runes read 

"ZEBULON CAMPER 

KITH"

However, knife in runes would be spelled "nif" (not counting that it would really be "sax"). So I botched that up! Also "the" (as in "knife in [the] hat")would have started with the "th" letter of futhark that is represented by a shape similar to a P but with the straight line protruding above the p as well as below. So I botched that up too! I think my name would've been spelled "kampr" or "kempr" in order to use futhark correctly, but I'm still green on my research. Correct me at will!

I think I'll still use it though! If whoever gets it hates it, then use it for kindling!