Sign in to follow this  
Zeb Camper

...And so it begins!

22 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

Do it man! It'd fit right in at history or carving and applied arts! I was using elder futhark this whole time, but the site I got my info from said younger. Can't believe everything you read! :lol:

Done. It's in the History sub-forum.

Well, this thread has really taken off. Still no work on the knife, but I got a book in the mail today! It's called "A Guide to Old English (eighth edition)".

It's really good so far. I feel like I'm really getting a grip on the phonetics, and accent of the language, as well as the diphthongs, different letters, and short, and long vowels. Next topic is  masculine, feminine, and neutral pronouns. 

I would reccomend the book (so far), but beware that they abbreviate often words like "Old West Saxon" turns to OWS, and OMS, MnE, as well as names for types of words, or letters, etc. I found myself scratching my head and reading twice over passages that should have only taken one pass. If they had not abbreviated so much ,or gave one clear instance of the abriviated word in full next to its shortened version; it would be a much easier read.

Hope this might help someone! 

it took me 47 years, but you guys finally got me to look up what a diphthong is...

...it's not nearly as interesting as it sounds...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

it took me 47 years, but you guys finally got me to look up what a diphthong is...

...it's not nearly as interesting as it sounds...

My mother taught 7th grade English for nearly 40 years, I grew up with the concept.  And an uncanny, if utterly useless, ability to diagram sentences.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

These are no ordinary diphthongs! :lol:

It's referring to single letters that represent what takes 2 letters in modern English. Modern dipthongs are pronunciated differently in the old language, vowels come in long and short versions and are not pronunciated how we do em' today. 

So its a bit like learning a new language er somethin'.

Do I smell a proncification contest brewingB)

Ha! I misspelled my own fake word, it was supposed to be "pronuncification". Reference to an old political cartoon poking fun at a politician who often mispronounced words.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, Zeb Camper said:

pronunciated

Did you learn that word from @Joël Mercier?

:P

Edited by Joshua States
  • Haha 1

Sorry to interrupt the language lesson.......but I was shown a picture yesterday that immediately reminded on this year's KITH....

It's basically a folding blacksmith knife  with the tail curved up & over and acting as a backspring with the very tip interfacing with a notch on the blade like any old slipjoint.

Very cool I think, and I want to try and make one ASAP.

• Like 1

I'm officially started on this. Got a bar drawn for twisting today. 

I want to do some carving... is poplar any good, or stick to maple? 20190621_183228.jpg

OK. So a month has gone by.

Posted (edited)

I know it!

No real progress. I messed the bar up after twisting. Tried to weld a right and left hand together without re-squaring (someone else said that's how they do it) and then chased the doomed weld until I all but ruined the whole bar. Haven't gotten back to the shop since. 

I'm not sure I'll make it this year. I'm off friday, and if I get my morning appointment knocked out pretty quick I'll see what I can do. But I'm not about to turn in a rushed piece! 

Edited by Zeb Camper
Makie no sense.
  • Sad 1

Bummer Zeb. I was really liking where that plan headed.

Posted (edited)

Hey! I salvaged that bar today... 

20190802_133652.jpg20190802_142543.jpg

Screenshot_20190802-155049_Chrome.jpg

I beat my high score while waiting on a quick temper cycle!

I'll do more tempering at home tonight. 20190802_183840.jpg

There it is! Lil' baby seax.

The blade is about 5" on the money... Is that too big? 

I plan on doing some carving or something tomarrow. 

Edited by Zeb Camper
Pictures!

Looking good Zeb!  I can't wait to see the pattern once you etch it.

5" is too big for Michigan if it were to somehow become concealed (3" max:angry:).  It also looks "stabby" which is another no-no here.  I have to imagine that other states are less restrictive.

• Like 1

Yeah, I might just drop out this year. I didnt mean to make a seax, it just kinda happened. No time to start anything new. Someday I'll be able to make a smol knife!

18 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Yeah, I might just drop out this year.

:( :( :(

• Haha 1

It's up to you guys! I'm gonna finish the lil' dude either way, but I realize I've taken "folder/EDC" and turned it into "tiny seax". 

Heres a progress pic. I was gonna go all Gary on it and cut some scrolls out of bone and inlay them. But, the bone I had the most of is pretty old and chipped on me. I figure I'll scrimshaw these little inlays. 

I also bought some silver wire. Gonna cut a band out of the handle 1" down from the blade and do a wire wrap. The handle wont stay that color. I was just goofing around with natural walnut and vinegroon. 

20190803_180703.jpg

I imagine that it would be a perfectly acceptable EDC somewhere in Scandinavia.:D

17 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

I imagine that it would be a perfectly acceptable EDC somewhere in Scandinavia.:D

About anywhere except the UK...

Isn't there a small chunk of that bar left over?

39 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Isn't there a small chunk of that bar left over?

Yeah, a lil 45° cut off. And the parts that I couldn't salvage. 

I could make another'n, but I think it'd take too long since it's due this month. I have the sword Damascus that i could swipe a lil piece from and make a proper classic twist with some wrought at the spine and something else i have laying around could be the edge.... But, there again, it might take me another month to get done.