Gary Mulkey

Starting a New Mosaic

21 hours ago, Joshua States said:

That is just spectacular. The only thing that might improve that, would be a fish mouth weld at the tip to help maintain the pattern.

I agree that cutting a bird's mouth helps the pattern.  I haven't done that in some time.  Thanks for reminding me as it's a good habit to get into.

2 hours ago, Bryan P said:

Holy S.That could be the most beautiful dagger I have ever seen.

Thanks, Bryan.  It's one that will be on my table next moth at The Arkansas Show.

17 minutes ago, Gary Mulkey said:

I agree that cutting a bird's mouth helps the pattern.  I haven't done that in some time. 

I do mine in the dish of the swage block. It helps support the entire length of the weld and to establish the curve.

Welding.JPG

• Thanks 1

Despite the temperature being the coldest day of the year so far,  along with working on some orders I managed to get the frame tang completed for this Bowie.  I  made the frame tang  from 4 pieces  of 15N20 (1/16") that I filed along with 2 pieces of 1080 (1/8") that I cold blued.

IMG_3305_opt

• Like 3

Now we are talking.

I've taken a break from this Bowie for a while but got in enough time today to get all of the handle components roughed out.  (Desert ironwood, mastodon ivory & 416)

IMG_3440_opt

• Like 3

Any chance I could get a closer pic of the guard/ivory transition? Is that one of your forged guards?

7 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Any chance I could get a closer pic of the guard/ivory transition? Is that one of your forged guards?

Hi Joshua,

I'll be glad to get some pics of the transition once I get that far.  Right now everything is just roughed out with my 2 x 72.  From here I will do the rest by hand (files & sand paper).

The guard was done stock removal out of some 3/4" thick 416 that I milled a tang slot into and did the rest on the 2 x 72 with a 36 grit belt.

5 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Hi Joshua,

I'll be glad to get some pics of the transition once I get that far.  Right now everything is just roughed out with my 2 x 72.  

Thanks. I am mostly interested in the process at this point though. The transition from the hard surfaces of the frame and guard, through a relatively softer material, the ivory, is something I have been thinking about lately. I typically use blind pins from a spacer package to the frame, but pins in ivory have caused me some trouble before. Just wondering how you manage the joint transitions.

1 minute ago, Joshua States said:

Thanks. I am mostly interested in the process at this point though. The transition from the hard surfaces of the frame and guard, through a relatively softer material, the ivory, is something I have been thinking about lately. I typically use blind pins from a spacer package to the frame, but pins in ivory have caused me some trouble before. Just wondering how you manage the joint transitions.

I have the ivory pinned (3/32" stainless) with one on each side of the tang & epoxied to  the wooden handle.  Between the ivory & stainless I will only epoxy it.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:49 AM, Gary Mulkey said:

This one has a similar pattern though it was 4-wayed just once rather than twice:

IMG_1090_opt

Damn gary that's a pertty one.  Just out of curiosity I'm wondering how much would ya charge for a Paul Hogan style bowie.  Just out of curiosity.

5 hours ago, AndrewB said:

Just out of curiosity I'm wondering how much would ya charge for a Paul Hogan style bowie.  Just out of curiosity.

PM sent.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

With the weather what it is and my only heat for the shop  being the forge, I am doing much of the hand work in the house on this one.  I'm settling in for an evening of hand sanding with some good tunes.:)

IMG_3443_opt

IMG_3447_opt

• Like 2

Here's the first dry fit-up:

I'm not fully satisfied with the etch and I need to tweek some of the fit-up between parts but I'm getting close.

IMG_3464_opt

• Like 1

Gorgeous :O the handle is soooo pretty.:lol:

• Thanks 1

I guess that it's  a good thing that I left myself a little extra time to  finish this one before the  Little Rock show.  When I was ready to  do the final handle assembly I decided that I didn't like the fit of the guard and made a new one.  I had slotted the guard before doing the final grind on the blade and the slot ended up being too wide.  One of those mistakes  that I  knew better but did it anyway.  I'm sure that it  wont be my last mistake.:)

IMG_3485_opt

IMG_3503_opt