Jump to content
Gary Mulkey

Starting a New Mosaic

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Joshua States said:

That is just spectacular. The only thing that might improve that, would be a fish mouth weld at the tip to help maintain the pattern.

 

I agree that cutting a bird's mouth helps the pattern.  I haven't done that in some time.  Thanks for reminding me as it's a good habit to get into.

2 hours ago, Bryan P said:

Holy S.That could be the most beautiful dagger I have ever seen.

Thanks, Bryan.  It's one that will be on my table next moth at The Arkansas Show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Gary Mulkey said:

I agree that cutting a bird's mouth helps the pattern.  I haven't done that in some time. 

I do mine in the dish of the swage block. It helps support the entire length of the weld and to establish the curve.

Welding.JPG

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the temperature being the coldest day of the year so far,  along with working on some orders I managed to get the frame tang completed for this Bowie.  I  made the frame tang  from 4 pieces  of 15N20 (1/16") that I filed along with 2 pieces of 1080 (1/8") that I cold blued.

 

IMG_3305_opt

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now we are talking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've taken a break from this Bowie for a while but got in enough time today to get all of the handle components roughed out.  (Desert ironwood, mastodon ivory & 416)

 

IMG_3440_opt

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance I could get a closer pic of the guard/ivory transition? Is that one of your forged guards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Any chance I could get a closer pic of the guard/ivory transition? Is that one of your forged guards?

Hi Joshua,

I'll be glad to get some pics of the transition once I get that far.  Right now everything is just roughed out with my 2 x 72.  From here I will do the rest by hand (files & sand paper).

The guard was done stock removal out of some 3/4" thick 416 that I milled a tang slot into and did the rest on the 2 x 72 with a 36 grit belt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Hi Joshua,

I'll be glad to get some pics of the transition once I get that far.  Right now everything is just roughed out with my 2 x 72.  

Thanks. I am mostly interested in the process at this point though. The transition from the hard surfaces of the frame and guard, through a relatively softer material, the ivory, is something I have been thinking about lately. I typically use blind pins from a spacer package to the frame, but pins in ivory have caused me some trouble before. Just wondering how you manage the joint transitions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joshua States said:

Thanks. I am mostly interested in the process at this point though. The transition from the hard surfaces of the frame and guard, through a relatively softer material, the ivory, is something I have been thinking about lately. I typically use blind pins from a spacer package to the frame, but pins in ivory have caused me some trouble before. Just wondering how you manage the joint transitions.

I have the ivory pinned (3/32" stainless) with one on each side of the tang & epoxied to  the wooden handle.  Between the ivory & stainless I will only epoxy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 8:49 AM, Gary Mulkey said:

This one has a similar pattern though it was 4-wayed just once rather than twice:

 

IMG_1090_opt

 

Damn gary that's a pertty one.  Just out of curiosity I'm wondering how much would ya charge for a Paul Hogan style bowie.  Just out of curiosity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AndrewB said:

 Just out of curiosity I'm wondering how much would ya charge for a Paul Hogan style bowie.  Just out of curiosity.

PM sent.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the weather what it is and my only heat for the shop  being the forge, I am doing much of the hand work in the house on this one.  I'm settling in for an evening of hand sanding with some good tunes.:)

 

IMG_3443_opt

 

IMG_3447_opt

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the first dry fit-up:

 

I'm not fully satisfied with the etch and I need to tweek some of the fit-up between parts but I'm getting close.

 

IMG_3464_opt

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorgeous :O the handle is soooo pretty.:lol:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess that it's  a good thing that I left myself a little extra time to  finish this one before the  Little Rock show.  When I was ready to  do the final handle assembly I decided that I didn't like the fit of the guard and made a new one.  I had slotted the guard before doing the final grind on the blade and the slot ended up being too wide.  One of those mistakes  that I  knew better but did it anyway.  I'm sure that it  wont be my last mistake.:)

 

IMG_3485_opt

 

 

IMG_3503_opt

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...