Sign in to follow this  
jake cleland

Broken Back Seax

Just finishing this one up. 10 3/4" blade of 1095, carved burr elm handle with copper mounts, tooled leather sheath with copper fittings:

seax bb 24.jpg

seax bb 25.jpg

let me know what you think...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The carving and tooling are especially awesome! 

If you don't mind a critique: I think the blade is lovely all around, but the camera flash on the white background just doesnt seem to let all that beautiful work stand out. I'm sure in person it quite impressive. 

Very nice. I like the pommel ring. Is the tang peened through the base of the ring mount, or separate attachment?

Whoa! 

I'd love to see a bit closer pic of all that tooling...

Zeb, I'm stuck in a January storm atm, but I'll try and get some better pics when it's completely finished and the weather has cleared.

Brian, here's a pic from earlier that shows the tooling better:

seax bb 22.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jake cleland said:

Brian, here's a pic from earlier that shows the tooling better:

Nice!  I recently made my first attempt at some tooling work, and got my butt handed to me on a plate.  However, it makes me appreciate what goes into that...

This one is very nice.

I love the agressive pointy shape.

Your carving and sheath tooling is top notch as always 

On 1/21/2019 at 6:02 PM, MichaelP said:

Very nice. I like the pommel ring. Is the tang peened through the base of the ring mount, or separate attachment?

Michael, I missed your question earlier. It's a whittle tang, that extends to about an inch from the end of the handle. There is a single pin situated about 2" from the bolster, which makes everything indexable so I can shape the handle on the knife, and then remove it for carving and finishing, but the bail for the pommel ring is a seperate piece. It's just a flat piece of copper clamped around a piece of round stock to form an eye, like a split pin. This goes through a slot in the pommel plate and  into a hole in the end of the handle, and is epoxied in place and pinned through the handle. In the past I have had the bail grip the end of the tang and pinned through both, and have also just flared the ends of the 'split pin' shape, and recessed the handle  under the pommel cap. Lots of ways to skin that particular cat...

Thank you for the information jake. It's an amazing piece of work. From what I've read I think those rings were originally attached the way you describe this one, or some version thereof. I love looking at those old pieces and trying to reason the how and why that drove the designs. Very cool riveted rings in the last photo too!