Ross I

Frankenhammer plans

I am going to start a build of a power hammer, I’m looking for any good plans if anyone has any.

also thinking a press instead of a power hammer for now. Any input one way or the other is great. 

Which one should I do first?

tia

Plans are scarce.  Partly because most hammer builds are often done from what people can scrounge up.  Once you settle on a design, we'll be more help with specifics.  Have a look at tire hammers, check out the anvilfire home built page.  I have both a press and hammer, I use them for different things.  An air powered bottle jack press is a good way to get started.  It's fast enough to set welds and draw out stock, just not as much a pump and motor setup would be.

Geoff

1 hour ago, Charles du Preez said:

Depending on what you are after, you could check out the cricket air hammer.

With air hammers how do they build enough pressure to do the actual hammering?? It would take a good compressor and I still believe it would need something to assist the air!! Anyone got insight into an air hammer really works??

Edited by C Craft

1 hour ago, C Craft said:

Anyone got insight into an air hammer really works??

I'm guessing you are wanting a bit more info than this, but just for reference, here is my understanding.  

There are 2 types of air hammers: One that lifts a mass (the tup/hammer) and lets it fall back down, and one that lifts the mass up then adds more force coming back down.  If I recall correctly, the Cricket is the former type, and Anyang is the latter type.  All of the movement is done by compressed air.  Conceptually it is all pretty straightforward, but getting the compressed air to move the mass fast enough at the right times is the tricky part.  

On 1/24/2019 at 5:53 PM, Jerrod Miller said:

I'm guessing you are wanting a bit more info than this, but just for reference, here is my understanding.  

There are 2 types of air hammers: One that lifts a mass (the tup/hammer) and lets it fall back down, and one that lifts the mass up then adds more force coming back down.  If I recall correctly, the Cricket is the former type, and Anyang is the latter type.  All of the movement is done by compressed air.  Conceptually it is all pretty straightforward, but getting the compressed air to move the mass fast enough at the right times is the tricky part.  

Thanks Jerrod!! I have got to do some re-search on these types of hammers!!

This is the hammer (i use the term loosely) that i built in october one weekend when the wife and kids were gone. To be truthful, i completely stole the idea from a gentleman on youtube. I thought it was a cool idea though.  To my surprise, it works extremely well for the 65$ i spent on parts.

20181013_202824_800x450.jpg

Shouldve mentioned that this pic is before adding the 3/4  motor on the bottom, the belt and the foot pedal with pulley to actuate it.

Tom