Adam Weller

WIP - Sami influenced gift knives

57 minutes ago, Conner Michaux said:

So what is the Sami style of knife?

WHat was it used for and where did it come from?

The Sami are the indigenous people of the northern reaches of Norway, Sweden and especially most of Finland and partially into Siberia ( think they ranged that far). Also called Lapps or Lapplanders. The knives are basically like the Puuko and are general use. Very interesting culture the Sami. Long persecuted and dominated by the occupiers, they have struggled to maintain their way of life. There are several references to them and their magical abilities in the Sagas.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Sami

1 hour ago, Conner Michaux said:

So what is the Sami style of knife?

WHat was it used for and where did it come from?

I don't consider myself an authority on the Sami culture by any means - it mainly became a fascination of mine after seeing a couple knives from that culture. I was drawn by the intricate engraving and wanted to learn how to do it. 

The Sami culture is sub culture in the Scandinavian culture that consisted of the nomadic reindeer herders in the far north. The knives were made by the herders for daily work as they worked with the reindeer. Obviously they were made with the materials on hand which primarily included reindeer antler sheds and wood.

The classic Sami knife doesn't really look like the knives I make, which is why I describe them as "sami influenced". A lot of times the sheath and handle are made completely with antler.  The modern versions are incredible showpieces and are absolutely incredible examples of craftsmanship.

Google Sami Culture knives etc. They have a lot of traditional dress (buttons) and instruments (drums) that are made with the same techniques. 

I've learned most of what I know from makers on Instagram. My favorite makers include Roman kislitsyn, Larsen Havard, Frederik Prost, and Jonas Sandstrom. These guys are amazing, I swear they engrave with a laser or something. I don't want to post a bunch of pictures of their work because of copyright issues, but I strongly encourage you to look them up.

Quick visit to the garage tonight.

I decided I was just going to glue them and deal with the bolsters later, hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me. 

So get the parts ready and clamp the blade in my knife vise thingy that I made.

IMG_5698.JPG

I use West Systems G-Flex Epoxy, as from what I've seen it's pretty tried and true. Start layering the epoxy and the parts. When I get to the handle portion I spend quite a bit of time making sure I fill the entire void of the handle. I also have theorized that this fills and stabilizes the remaining marrow (spongy bone) within the antler portion of the handle, if that matters in any way shape or form.

IMG_5699.JPG

Finish off all the layers, I trimmed the tang to the right length before I started stacking. This will be peened over and make the handle solid.

IMG_5700.JPG

But, for now, I put the all-thread on the vise and clamp the handle. There is a hole in the wood that the tang sticks into. 

IMG_5701.JPG

Now just wait for a day or so... and we move on to the next one.

IMG_4502.JPG

The local bridge troll accommodations are pretty cool, I haven't been down there since this last storm, I might have to throw the snow shoes on and go check it out. Probably wont be able to find it.

Later,

Adam 

• Like 1

Got some time a little sooner than usual today so I wont be posting this at midnight tonight :blink:

Pulled the first knife out of the vice. Pretty rough, but looks and feels really solid.

IMG_5702.JPG

I start intermittently shaping the handle. I take it very slow and use a sharp belt so I can keep the heat down.

Of note, I have found it is much easier to shape handles with the grinder horizontal. When I built the bench for my grinder (which subsequently became the bench for my band saw) I built it with a piano hinge in the middle so I have two options for grinder positioning. I think it works pretty well. 

Normal position, with the bandsaw in place.

IMG_5703.JPG

I put the bandsaw on the floor, and tip the grinder up, prop it up with a block of wood and it becomes a horizontal grinder. 

IMG_5704.JPG

Anyway, back to business.

While I'm waiting for the handle to cool down between grinding sessions I start to glue up the next one. Eventually, I have the second one all glued up and the first handle starting to take shape.

IMG_5705.JPG

Not much to report.

Hope the day was well.

Adam

• Like 2

Man, that is an excellent WIP so far Adam.  Cheers to you man.  And the knives are great!  I love how meticulously you are documenting the whole process.  Maybe one of these I will do that with a knife I make.  I always forget.

8 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

Man, that is an excellent WIP so far Adam.  Cheers to you man.  And the knives are great!  I love how meticulously you are documenting the whole process.  Maybe one of these I will do that with a knife I make.  I always forget.

Thanks Wes. I feel like I might be documenting it too well, but I know I love watching other WIP's and I wanted to kinda kick myself out of my usual lurker/comfort zone... I know I'm probably not teaching anybody on here anything, but I'm hoping if someone sees something I could do better they will let me know. It's also a good motivator so I can get this project done, especially when I come home tired from work, move a couple feet of snow, do the usual family stuff, and am really tempted to just be done for the day... Now I have a reason to just go spend some time in the garage and then I realize how much I needed that garage time in the first place.

On a  side note, I hope you are doing okay in this weather. I'm used to it as the average annual snowfall here is 132 inches, I'm hoping we break all the records this year. Had an earlier meeting at work this morning so I had to clear 2 feet of snow off our driveway by 630.  It's still coming down pretty fast so with drifting I will probably do about the same when I get home tonight.

Cheers.

26 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

I know I'm probably not teaching anybody on here anything,

And that is where you are wrong my friend.  Trust me, I am sure that at least one person has walked away learning something from your WIP.  Hell, it was instructional for me.  I love the way you did the curved bolster.  I have never done one, and so guess where I will be referencing when I do.  I am hoping that Alan will pin this.  I think it deserves it.

28 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

On a  side note, I hope you are doing okay in this weather. I'm used to it as the average annual snowfall here is 132 inches, I'm hoping we break all the records this year. Had an earlier meeting at work this morning so I had to clear 2 feet of snow off our driveway by 630.  It's still coming down pretty fast so with drifting I will probably do about the same when I get home tonight.

Cheers.

I think total we have gotten something like 20 inches, which broke all records for Feb going back to the 1920's.  I managed to hurt my back shoveling my driveway and sidewalk.  Otherwise, it hasn't been too bad.  I got some days off from work because of it, and my son has had a nice 5 day weekend.  You be safe Adam.  Thanks brother

2 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

And that is where you are wrong my friend.  Trust me, I am sure that at least one person has walked away learning something from your WIP.  Hell, it was instructional for me.  I love the way you did the curved bolster.  I have never done one, and so guess where I will be referencing when I do.  I am hoping that Alan will pin this.  I think it deserves it.

Talked me into it!

• Like 1

Wes is right on target. Beautifully done!  Your meticulous documentation is teaching us all now much can be accomplished with a positive creative attitude to bring your vision to fruition.   And, three at once...very impressive.

Thanks Wes, Alan and John. I feel honored ^_^ 

It's definitely an interesting and vulnerable process for me to show my methods, and I think I feel like everyone knows this stuff already because all of it was derived from this site in some way or another. Having not made many knives I don't consider myself an expert by any means. 

First of all Congrats on the pin, it is well deserved. This WIP is fantastic. 

10 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

I know I'm probably not teaching anybody on here anything,

9 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

And that is where you are wrong my friend. 

Not just wrong, but so wrong, totally wrong, could not possibly be any more wrong. You have me rethinking a few things and adding stuff to the bucket list, and we haven't even gotten to the carving that I am absolutely foaming at the mouth waiting for.  Everyone has something to teach and everyone has something to learn. Your methods are all sound and practical. Your tooling is creative and functional. Thanks for taking the time to document this process. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam Weller said:

Having not made many knives I don't consider myself an expert by any means. 

Damn you fooled me. I have learned a few things from this WIP. Everytime I come online I check and see if you posted anything.  

2 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

we haven't even gotten to the carving that I am absolutely foaming at the mouth waiting for

That's what I really want to see too:D

7 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Talked me into it!

Sweeeeeeet

Next installment. Not to much to add as today was pretty redundant with yesterday. took the second knife out of the vise and did some grinder work to get the handles down to the shape I want them. 

I'm not gluing up the scandi ground one yet because I do want to put a final edge on it before I assemble.

By the end of the evening these two look like this.

IMG_5719.JPG

And, a spine shot of one of them.

IMG_5722.JPG

I took the handles up to 120 grit so far. I'm still thinking I want to work on the bolster and the cap, so I'm working that out in my head. Then I will peen the tangs and the construction portion should be pretty much done.

Thanks again for the compliments, I'm glad some are picking up some things. I'll say it again,pretty much everything I know I derived from this forum. I have been a daily visitor since it was Don's site back in the day. I think I became an official member in 2007? If I'm helping to propagate the knowledge I have picked up in that time, I'm happy. 

13 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Not just wrong, but so wrong, totally wrong, could not possibly be any more wrong.

Haha, Not sure if i'm being scolded here, or if I should take it as a compliment :rolleyes: I guess I'll take it as a compliment...

13 hours ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

Damn you fooled me.

Part of my master plan, make you all think I have a clue what I'm doing. :ph34r:

13 hours ago, Joshua States said:

we haven't even gotten to the carving that I am absolutely foaming at the mouth waiting for. 

It's coming, though you might find it pretty mundane. I've found the concept of engraving is simple... the execution of said engraving is damn near impossible :blink: We shall see if I can pull it off. Anticipation is the worst part. That first cut, after all this work... Is killer.

16 hours ago, John Myshkoff said:

And, three at once...very impressive.

One of the things I wanted to work on was consistency and repeat-ability, I figured 2 would stretch my limits, so I went with 3.

Well, off to bed. Another early morning moving snow.

A parting shot: This is the front of my house. The front deck is about 2 1/2 feet off the ground... So the snow starts well below the bottom of those doors. If I were standing in the snow you would barely see the top of my head (I'm 5'10"). There is also a second floor there, with windows and everything! Usually I can look out the second floor bathroom window and look down our driveway. Not anymore, just a wall of snow. At some point that cornice will fall, It usually happens in the middle of the night and wakes up the whole house.

IMG_5708.JPG

Stay warm out there... And to those of you in New Zealand, stay cool!

Adam

Edited by Adam Weller
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

Haha, Not sure if i'm being scolded here, or if I should take it as a compliment :rolleyes: I guess I'll take it as a compliment...

Good choice dude! All in fun. 

Those snow pics make me think of my childhood in upstate NY........brrrr I shiver just thinking about it.

I skipped posting on Valentine's day for obvious reasons 

Tonight I didn't have much time either, so I grabbed my DMT Duosharps and put an edge on the scandi grind blade. I just run through the 4 grits (from their website):

• BLACK (X) Diamond - Extra Coarse

Use to rapidly repair damaged or real rough edge. (220 mesh, 60 mircron)
  • BLUE (C) Diamond - Coarse

Transforms a dull edge to cutting condition. (325 mesh, 45 micron)
  • RED (F) Diamond - Fine

Use to put a great edge on slightly dull knives or tools. (600 mesh, 25 micron)
  • GREEN (E) Diamond - Extra Fine

Gives everything a polished and razor sharp edge. (1200 mesh, 9 micron)

I strop with that chunk of leather. It came off one of those cheap Bota Bags I had when I was a kid. I've been using it as a strop for many years. I've never sharpened a scandi grind before, The angle is easy to keep because you are sharpening the entire bevel, but I did notice you have to move alot more metal...

IMG_5725.JPG

It came out pretty sharp.

Now that it is sharp I mixed up some epoxy and glued it up.

IMG_5754.JPG

Back to waiting for glue to dry. 

Hope you all had a good evening.

Adam

Edited by Adam Weller
  • Thanks 1

I love that gluing vise that you have there.  One more thing to add to the build list.

7 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

I love that gluing vise that you have there.  One more thing to add to the build list.

I made it on a whim a while back. It’s nice because the all-thread comes out and it is great for handle shaping - the tube can clamp in a bench vise at any angle, and the blade is protected and I’m protected from cutting my hand off. When I get the knife out I’ll take some pictures, then you can see what I did and make it even better!

That'd be great.  I've been doing a few fillet knives and it always a pain to get them clamped up solid when the blade has that much flexibility. 

Busy day.

My wife decided that she didn't really feel like sleeping under tons of snow, so my first job of the day was some snow removal

IMG_5755.JPG

This is just the first level, and I'm not down to the roof yet... The upper level was quite a bit deeper, but I had left my phone down, so no pics.

IMG_5756.JPG

Got a majority of it down. If each shovel full is 20-30 pounds and I specifically counted a million shovel fulls, I'm estimating the was 25 million pounds on that roof before this morning :rolleyes: I started getting a charlie horse in my right arm so I called it a day about mid afternoon.

The next project was a desk and cabinets. A friend was tearing it out of his house... So I got it from him and installed it in my house.I am pretty excited because it fit like is was made for the spot. I have kind of a crazy computer set up for my work, so I need a huge desk, and it fit the bill perfectly.

IMG_5768.JPG

But you guys don't care about any of that stuff, so I headed out to the garage.

Took the 3rd knife out of the glue up vise and shaped the handle. I think this trio is turning out pretty sweet.

IMG_5763.JPG

And as promised,

8 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

That'd be great.  I've been doing a few fillet knives and it always a pain to get them clamped up solid when the blade has that much flexibility. 

Here is my vise. The blade clamps between those two pieces of metal that I glued leather too. The allthread screws into nuts that I welded on either side and is removable so I can use it as a glue vise or just a blade vise. For filet knives you might need to make the clamp part longer? Maybe even add a second set of clamps?

Here is the exploded view.IMG_5764.JPG

looking down the barrel

IMG_5766.JPG

and with the plates in place

IMG_5769.JPG

Hope that helps! I use this thing all the time. With the pipe I welded to it, the blade can be pretty long and still be protected, also you can clamp it in a bench vise at essentially any angle you want.

That's all I have for tonight.

Adam

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Adam!  Those pics are perfect.  I'm looking forward to the rest of this process. 

8 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

Here is my vise. The blade clamps between those two pieces of metal that I glued leather too.

I am all over that like a cheap suit on a fat man. I need one of those.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Joshua States said:

I am all over that like a cheap suit on a fat man. I need one of those.

I have a knife vise a friend built me and I love the hell out of it.  I don't know what i did before it.