Adam Weller

WIP - Sami influenced gift knives

Everyone loves sand paper right? I take the handles to 2500 grit before I engrave them and then I do it again afterwards..

I use several different types of sandpaper, quite a few grits from Rhynowet redline (love this stuff), and bridge the gaps with other random types of sandpaper.

IMG_5790.JPG

I keep them stacked in this order and when I start a project like this I take the stack and cut about a 2 inch strip of all the grits at the same time. 

IMG_5791.JPG

I get uniform strips of each grit from 150 to 2500. If this doesn't make your fingers tingle it should. 

IMG_5794.JPG

Clamp the knife in the vise and then start working my way around the handle. 

IMG_5795.JPG

Trigger warning (haha, just kidding, I'm sure you guys can handle it). This is what starts to drive you nuts. See that little perpendicular line. Don't change to the next grit until ALL of them are gone. This usually takes awhile in the bigger grits, but gets progressively easier as you get to higher grits (If you got them all every time!) If you have some of these lines that just wont go away, sometimes you  should just drop the back down a grit or two and start over from there. The other rule of thumb is use the sand paper like you stole it (Or use it like it's free, may sound little better).

IMG_5798.JPG

By about 800, this thing is looking pretty nice!

IMG_5799.JPG

And by 2500 it is just straight up Luxury! Oh yeah, so smooth.

IMG_5800.JPG

But I'm about to rain on my own parade. When you use natural materials you are dealing with a non-uniform material... When you turn it over:

IMG_5801.JPG

There is an area that is more porous, starting to get into a touch of marrow... Well during the sanding process those little pores get dust in them and become quite obvious. It actually doesn't look to bad, I thought about just keeping it that way, kind of a tribute to using a nonuniform material. But I wanted to experiment so I cleaned it out (using one of my kids toothbrush and a blower tip on the air compressor) and then filled it (3 coats) with CA glue , followed by sanded it back up to 2500. You can tell it is still there, but it's less obvious and I'm interested to see what will show up with I rub pigment onto the handle after the engraving. 

IMG_5802.JPG

That's it for garage work. I'll be doing this same thing two more times. 

Warning! Non-Knife content ahead:

My son turns 10 tomorrow. For some reason when my oldest child turned 1 I decided to make a cake, it was the shape of a frog... Worst mistake ever. 4 kids later and therefore 4 cakes a year for all those years have made me HATE making cakes, but the wife still makes me do it. Two of my kids have converted to pies for their birthday, so it's getting a little easier. 

He wanted a monster... So I made him a cute little monster peaking up out of the pan. Enjoy.

IMG_5804.JPG

Now that I feel much less manly, I shall retire for the evening. Hope you guys had a great weekend.

Adam

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

Now that I feel much less manly, I

Only a manly man could bake a cake like that and have the courage to show his friends in a public forum. Well done sir.

Edited by Joshua States

2 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Only a manly man could bake a cake like that and have the courage to show his friends in a public forum. Well done sir.

Agreed! 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Joshua States said:

6 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Agreed! 

Thanks guys I feel better already. Haha. Just to clarify I didn't actually bake the cake, I just take the cake my wife makes, build it, and slather some frosting on it. 

Tonight is going to be tight time wise considering I have a birthday party to attend! Maybe I can sneak out to work on another handle after everyone goes to bed.

Edited by Adam Weller

Great now I want some cake...… Thanks!

Just kidding..... Well sawed of. 

That handle looks real good at 2500 grit. I cant wait to see them engraved :D