Adam Weller

WIP - Sami influenced gift knives

20 hours ago, Joshua States said:

What? No audio? Looks great man!

There's audio, but not anything to worry about, just the click when I pop the sheath off. Thanks for the encouragement, I swear I'm getting to the engraving soon... even if it causing me sleepless nights - it just seems like I'm going to screw it up and all this work is for naught <_<

12 hours ago, John Myshkoff said:

Thoroughly enjoying your WIP Adam.  Well done so far. 

Thanks John! 

10 hours ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

Wow that video really shows how beautiful those blades are!! 

Thanks Jason! 

Not sure I'm going to get a ton done today... I have been moving snow all day.

IMG_5897.JPG

This is my garage roof, that shovel measures 52 inches. 

Good times.

6 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

This is my garage roof, that shovel measures 52 inches. 

Holy Smokes! Dude, you are huge. Huge I'm telling you, HUGE!

I hope I never see that in person again. (I used to live in upstate NY)

20 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

I hope I never see that in person again. (I used to live in upstate NY)

I can’t complain, I love it here, but we got a lot of snow. The official report said like 75 inches in February this year B)

Posted (edited)

Made some quick cuts on a piece of junk antler. Gotta get my fingers used to this again.585476B2-AE69-43A4-8B3B-80DF0CC39497.jpeg

I still think the guys that are actually good at this use lasers or something.

Here is another little test.

B15AD6D3-BCD5-4E7C-A434-9D243B3921D2.jpeg

Adam

Edited by Adam Weller
Added another
  • Like 2

What are you using to make your cuts?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Wes Detrick said:

What are you using to make your cuts?

Well, it ain’t pretty but it basically a Skew chisel that I made. It’s made to be very ergonomic to where I hold my fingers.

3A1D7A57-B69E-4BF7-8137-B3C825E4AC6D.jpeg

I plan on doing more of a WIP type post on the whole engraving process when I start working on the knives...

Edited by Adam Weller
  • Like 4

I will you what Adam, I am impressed by all of this.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

+1 to that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2019 at 4:20 PM, Adam Weller said:

I still think the guys that are actually good at this use lasers or something.

Dude!  That's looking pretty darn impressive to me.

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2019 at 1:20 PM, Adam Weller said:

I still think the guys that are actually good at this use lasers or something

I don't know what your talking about because those few "engravings" you just showed us looks real good to me.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

On 3/3/2019 at 5:41 PM, Wes Detrick said:

On 3/3/2019 at 8:17 PM, Joshua States said:

+1 to that.

On 3/4/2019 at 2:43 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

Dude!  That's looking pretty darn impressive to me.

On 3/4/2019 at 7:11 PM, JASON VOLKERT said:

I don't know what your talking about because those few "engravings" you just showed us looks real good to me.

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. The examples of true engraving out there are truly amazing, I just have to keep telling myself that I haven't been doing this long and figure out some way to crush my perfectionist tendencies :P To be honest this is my own fault, I am drawn to these types of knives because It is something that cannot be done in a production run or en mass... But the reasons for that are the imperfections. You could quickly tell if someone were able to use a CNC machine, or a laser engraver, because it wouldn't look authentic (in my opinion). This is also the reason that I will never make money off this endeavor, you can see the amount of time I've already spent on these 3 knives, I would never break even. Mad props to the guys that make it full time in the custom knife world. 

I don't have any actual updates because the last couple nights I've just been practicing on a chunk of antler. I think the hardest part of the whole project is the first cut on a knife. There is a lot of inertia to overcome with that first step. It will happen soon, I promise.

Edited by Adam Weller

8 hours ago, Adam Weller said:

This is also the reason that I will never make money off this endeavor, you can see the amount of time I've already spent on these 3 knives, I would never break even.

That depends on how much you can charge for your work. The more you do this, the faster and better you get at it. The faster and better you are, the more money you can charge.

14 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

That depends on how much you can charge for your work. The more you do this, the faster and better you get at it. The faster and better you are, the more money you can charge.

True, but it seems like most custom knife makers that become full time end up making the same variation of full tang bushcrafty looking knives with slight variations in blade shape/finish and handle materials (I’m speaking in very broad generalities here - there are a lot of exceptions). I totally understand why this happens, you can hit a lower price point and churn out more product, but at that point it becomes a production knife IMHO. Again, mad props to the guys that can make it full time. 

Not being full time, I cannot comment. You might want to ask Gary Mulkey or Karl B. Anderson. They are both full-time custom makers who do not do:

42 minutes ago, Adam Weller said:

the same variation of full tang bushcrafty looking knives with slight variations in blade shape/finish and handle materials

42 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Not being full time, I cannot comment. You might want to ask Gary Mulkey or Karl B. Anderson. They are both full-time custom makers who do not do:

I’m not full time either, nor do I think I ever will be. This is also one of the reasons I like this forum - The guys here tend to not go that route...

Anyway, in order to get this back on topic :P here’s my current view. Just tying some stuff. Working on this is actually quite a bit hard than a knife because of the curve radius...

87D9A09B-E5D7-4534-AD2B-12623EEAFA71.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks great to me!

OK. There is something incredibly beautiful about that.

What Alan and Joshua said

Well, It's been awhile... busy week and not much time for knife shenanigans.

I finally finished engraving the first knife. It turned out okay. Some mistakes, and some porosity of the inlay kinda caused some issues, but I think it's a pretty solid attempt... 

My favorite part:

IMG_5934.JPG

Rub the paint into all the nooks and crannies. Then you get to wipe it off!

Here's the front.

IMG_5936 (3).JPG

Then the back.

IMG_5937.JPG

From the right angle you can see how the porosity of the inlay piece kinda messes up the sheath some, but I guess that's the raw materials keeping me humble.

IMG_5939.JPG

Still keeping on with the original design...

IMG_5941.JPG

Two more knives to engrave and then leather work is in order. I promise I'll do a more WIP type post on this whole process as I work on the other knives, I used this one to kinda get my feet wet. I might switch up the design and go a little more geometric with the next knife, just to try it out.

Hope you had a good week.

Adam

• Like 5

Well, THAT went well!  B)  Seriously cool!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

Well, THAT went well!  B)  Seriously cool!

Thanks Alan!

The more I thought about it last night the more the inlay part bothers me... I know, i know.

With the talk about antler sheaths on that other Sami thread right now, I'm kinda thinking maybe I'll try one for this knife. Otherwise I might just go all dremel tool on it's business and make a new inlay.

Absolutely loving that knife Adam, porosity and all.

• Like 1

I would tell you that the porosity of the inlay doesnt have any affect on how attractive it is, but I know the feeling of wanting it to be a certain way and hating when it isn't.  But, from an outsiders view, it is great work and beautiful.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is amazing work!  now i want to build one similar with engraving.  i too love sami style knives and tools.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Charles du Preez said:

Absolutely loving that knife Adam, porosity and all.

Thanks Charles!

1 hour ago, Wes Detrick said:

I know the feeling of wanting it to be a certain way and hating when it isn't. 

So true... It's just not right, so it bugs me. My wife told me it just looks like falling snow :D I think I'll just take it as an opportunity to try again, and know what not to do next time.

1 hour ago, Neil Young said:

This is amazing work!  now i want to build one similar with engraving.  i too love sami style knives and tools.

Thanks! It's  a rabbit hole, just like everything else in knifemaking, but you should definitely try it.